FaceTime is the go-to platform for staying connected with family and friends on iPhone and iPad. To add a bit of fun and a touch of creativity to your video calls, you can use FaceTime filters. Here’s how you can use FaceTime filters on your iPhone or iPad to enhance your video calling experience.
- Devices that can use FaceTime camera effects
- How to create and use Memoji in FaceTime on iPhone
- How to use filters in a FaceTime video call on iPhone or iPad
- How to add a text label to FaceTime calls
- How to add stickers during FaceTime video call
- Add shapes to a FaceTime Video Call on iPhone
- How to use portrait mode in FaceTime
- Tips to use FaceTime filters on iPhone and iPad
Devices that can use FaceTime special camera effects
If you want to use a filter to change your appearance in FaceTime video call, here is a list of compatible devices that support the new updates:
- iPhone 7 and later (excluding the original iPhone SE)
- iPad Air (3rd generation) and later
- iPad mini (5th generation) and later
- iPad (6th generation) and later
- iPad Pro 10.5 inch
- iPad Pro 12.9 inch (2nd generation) and later
If you fulfill the minimum requirement, then what are you waiting for? Let’s learn how you can use the FaceTime app like a pro on iPhone and iPad.
How to create and use Memoji in FaceTime on iPhone
With the introduction of Memoji in FaceTime, you can make yourself look like a cartoon character and have fun while talking with friends and family. It’s a fun, creative way to make your video calls more personalized, and it’s easy to do. Let’s see how:
- Launch FaceTime.
- Select an existing contact or tap New FaceTime.
- If you opt to create a New FaceTime, enter the contact name → Tap FaceTime.
You can add multiple users by tapping the (+) icon.
- When connected, choose the star-shaped Filter icon.
- Select Memoji.
- Pick any 3D Avatar of your preference.
- Now, the receiver will hear everything you say, with Memoji doing the talking.
- Select None from the Memoji feature to remove the avatar.
- Tap Close to return to normal video call.
How to use filters in a FaceTime video call on iPhone or iPad
Using filters on a FaceTime call can be a fun way to spice up your conversations. With FaceTime’s new update, applying an effect is easier than ever. Here’s a quick steps to use a filter during your next FaceTime video call.
- Open FaceTime and join a call.
- Tap the star icon.
- Select Filters and choose a filter from the menu.
- To remove the active filter, select the Original option and tap Close.
How to add a text label to FaceTime calls
Now that you have got a gist of adding filters and Memojis on your video calls, why not try to add some texts too? If you are wondering how to add a text label to your FaceTime calls, follow the guidelines outlined below:
- Open FaceTime → Make a call →Tap the star icon.
- Choose Text denoted with the Aa icon.
- Swipe up to see all available typefaces.
- Select a template and type your thoughts.
- Tap the screen to place the text on the video call.
- Drag and resize the text using your fingers.
To remove the text template from the call or replace the text with something else, tap it. You’ll be prompted with the keyboard to change the text. Alternatively, you can delete the same by tapping the close icon levitating along the text.
How to add stickers during FaceTime video call
Adding stickers to your FaceTime video calls adds fun and excitement to your conversations. Here are a few simple steps to achieve this goal:
- Start a call from FaceTime and tap the star icon.
- Select Stickers.
- Tap a Sticker and adjust it the way you like it.
Removing stickers during FaceTime calls is also pretty simple. Just tap the sticker and press the close icon to make it disappear. Furthermore, there is no limit to the number of stickers you can use, so play as much as you like.
Add shapes to a FaceTime video call on iPhone
Adding shapes to a FaceTime video call can be a great way to make your call more interesting and interactive.
- Upon adding a call from FaceTime, hit the star icon.
- Select Shapes.
- Swipe up to get all available shapes.
- Tap any shape and adjust it any way you desire.
You’re not limited to a particular set of stickers, so feel free to try them all. If you want to remove the sticker, then tap it and hit Close.
How to use portrait mode in FaceTime
Portrait mode is a great way to improve your FaceTime experience. It adjusts the lighting in your environment and enhances the features of your face for a more vivid and clear appearance.
- Open FaceTime and start a call.
- Tap the Portrait option.
- This feature will blur out your surroundings, keeping the focus on your face.
Note: If you end up using multiple filters at the same time, you can remove them in a single tap. Simply tap the star icon again, and the video call will return to normal.
Tips to use FaceTime filters on iPhone and iPad
Now that you’re aware of the different types of filters available on FaceTime let’s go through some tips and tricks that will help you maximize the potential of your creativity.
- Experiment with different filters to find an effect that best suits you. You can also combine multiple effects to create a unique vibe.
- If you’re in a public place or don’t want others to see your surroundings, you can use a filter that adds a virtual background. This will help to protect your privacy and keep the focus on you.
- Some FaceTime filters are interactive. For example, the sparkly filter lets you choose the color and size of the sparkle, so you can customize the effect to your liking.
- Make sure you’re in a well-lit area so the filters can be more effectively applied. This will ensure the best possible video quality.
- Before applying a filter during a FaceTime call, make sure to preview it first. This way, you can make sure the filter looks good on you and doesn’t obstruct your face or distort your features.
Yes! FaceTime now supports group calling with filters, so you can apply filters to everyone on the call.
Unfortunately, at this time, there is no way for users to create their own custom filters. However, Apple does periodically release new filters with software updates, so keep an eye out for new options.
Yes, you can apply filters during screen sharing or recording. Simply enable the filters before starting the recording or screen-sharing session.
Yes, you can adjust the intensity of FaceTime filters by using the slider that appears when you select a filter. This allows you to customize the look of the filter to your liking.
Yes, Apple has released a few filters specifically designed for use with virtual backgrounds. These filters help to make your virtual background look more realistic and immersive.
Play with Filters!
With the help of filters, you can add different effects and backgrounds to your video calls, making the experience more fun and engaging. So, don’t keep yourself waiting. Try these amazing filters today and customize the video calls to your liking. If you face any issues, don’t hesitate to drop them below.
- Use SharePlay on Facetime and Messages in iOS 16
- How to use FaceTime Handoff on iPhone, iPad, and Mac
- How to FaceTime on Android and Windows
Readers like you help support iGeeksBlog. When you make a purchase using links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read Disclaimer.