What you need to know
- watchOS 9 Developer Beta 2 is available for Apple Watch Series 4 or later.
- You’ll need an Apple Developer account.
- You can’t downgrade to watchOS 8, so proceed with caution.
Apple has finally revealed watchOS 9 at the WWDC 2022. And thankfully, we can download the watchOS 9 Developer Beta 2 and explore all the features, including the fun new watch faces, enhanced workout summary, medication reminder, and much more.
If you also want to use and show off these cool features right away, here is how to download and install watchOS 9 on your Apple Watch.
- What you’ll need
- How to download watchOS 9 Developer Beta 2
- How to install watchOS 9 Developer Beta 2
What you will need
- Watch compatibility – Following models with at least 50% power and connected to the charger
- Apple Watch Series 4
- Apple Watch Series 5
- Apple Watch SE
- Apple Watch Series 6
- Apple Watch Series 7
- iOS update – The paired iPhone 8 or later should be running iOS 16 Developer Beta 2.
- Apple Developer account – To download the developer beta profile, you’ll need to log in with a developer account. So, keep the credentials handy or create a new one (costs $99/year).
- Stable network – You’ll need a strong and stable strong Wi-Fi network to ensure a smooth and quick download and installation.
- Backup – While not compulsory, it is wise to backup your Apple Watch to avoid data loss if something goes awry.
Caution: Once you’ve installed the watchOS 9 Developer Beta 2 on your Apple Watch, you can’t downgrade to watchOS 8. Moreover, beta versions are usually plagued with various bugs, so avoid installing them on your main device.
How to download watchOS 9 Developer Beta 2 on Apple Watch
- On your paired iPhone, launch Safari and open developer.apple.com.
- Tap the two-line icon at the top left → select Account.
- Log in with your Developer account.
- Next, you can tap the two-line icon and
- Downloads → Scroll to watchOS
- Discover → watchOS → Downloads
- Tap Install Profile next to watchOS 9 Beta 2.
- Tap Allow → Close.
Alternatively, you can log in to developer.apple.com on Mac or PC, download the file, and mail it to your iPhone account.
- Now, go to Settings → tap Profile Downloaded from the top.
- Tap Install from the top right corner.
- If prompted, enter your Passcode.
- Read the consent agreement and tap Install twice to continue.
Your iPhone will prompt you to restart the watch.
- Tap Restart to complete the process.
How to install watchOS 9 Developer Beta 2 on Apple Watch
The beta certificate you downloaded above informs the Watch app on your iPhone that watchOS 9 beta 2 is ready to install. If the beta does not show up, reboot your Apple Watch again.
- Open the Watch app (ensure the iPhone is connected to a robust Wi-Fi network).
- In the My Watch → General.
- Tap Software Update.
- Tap Download and Install.
- Enter your phone passcode.
- Tap Agree to the Terms and Conditions.
- Connect your Apple Watch to its magnetic charger and ensure it has at least a 50% charge.
- Tap Install on your iPhone and/or your Apple Watch.
Once the process is complete, your Apple Watch will reboot to apply the update. You can see the progress on your Apple Watch screen.
watchOS 9 Developer Beta 2 update failed? Try the above process once again. If it repeatedly fails, unpair and repair your Apple Watch, then try again.