One of the best examples of Apple's integration with almost all of its devices is iMessage (besides iCloud). Although iMessage is also known to go berserk often, it's one of the most popular tools a lot of people use.
When you change your carrier, or when you change the number with the same carrier, you will have to re-register with iMessage in order to get it working with the new number. As a few people face issues in this process, we wanted to look into the right way of doing things. So here's to all of you who're looking to change your iMessage phone number.
1. Turn off iMessage: The first thing you need to do is to turn OFF iMessage. To do this:
- Go to Settings
- Scroll down and tap on Messages
- Switch OFF iMessage
The reason you're turning OFF iMessage is so as to re-send an SMS activation for iMessage which tells Apple your new number.
2. Power down and wait: Usually, people jump to step #3 from here and it works. But for a good measure, power down your device and wait 5-10 mins before proceeding to the next step.
3. Edit your phone number detail: Once you've rebooted the iPhone after step #3, check if Phone number details on your iPhone reflect the new number. They usually do but just to be sure.
Go to Settings → Phone and make sure “My Number” reflects your new number. If not, edit this.
Also, make sure the time & date settings in your iPhone are set to automatic. (they can be found in Settings → General → Date & Time)
4. Turn On iMessage again: Now, just head over to the Messages settings and turn on iMessage.
- This should usually send an SMS to Apple's servers. (it happens in the background).
- iMessage should be activated now for the new number. How to check this? Next step.
5. Check ‘Send & Receive As'
In the “Send & Receive as” field, you should see your new number ticked and grayed out. If this field is empty or has your old number, it means the process did not go as expected and you'll need to repeat it.
If it shows your new number, you're set.
There are a bunch of issues surrounding iMessage and you can check out our troubleshooting guide here. Once you've changed your iMessage number, you might want to reset things on other devices also (although it should work just fine and automatically since iMessage works over the cloud). Nevertheless, if you're setting up iMessage on multiple devices, be sure to check this tutorial.