Apple prides itself on the range of customization its devices offer to users, but doesn’t provide a default solution to block ads in apps and games on iPhone.
It also regularly changes its policies and tries to limit third-party apps from offering system-wide ad blocking. But, worry not: there are still a few ways to effectively block ads on iPhone.
- Block iPhone game ads by turning off Wi-Fi and Cellular Data
- Disable internet access to a particular game
- Use AdGuard Pro to block ads in games and apps
1. Block iPhone game ads by turning off Wi-Fi and Cellular Data
Advertisements rely on a Wi-Fi or Cellular Data connection to serve the user. Without a data network, the code within the app cannot fetch the ads and display them on-screen. This leads to two interesting situations.
First off, most apps will stop showing ads completely when there’s no available data network. Secondly, in some cases, you’ll see a big filled/empty rectangle or block where the ad typically appears.
Overall, this is a quick and easy way to stop getting ads on iPhone games. Disabling the internet also puts a pause on notifications that hinder your gameplay.
Here’s how to go about it:
- Turn off Wi-Fi and Cellular Data from the Control Center. Or, open Settings on your iPhone and tap Wi-Fi. Turn the toggle off.
- Now, repeat the same process for Cellular Data.
- Next, Force quit the game (or app).
On iPhones with Face-ID: Swipe up from the bottom of the screen, then drag the app card upwards.
On iPhones with a Home button: Double tap the Home button to see all open apps. Now, drag the game card up to force close the application.
- After a few seconds, open the game again. Since internet connectivity is disabled, you will see no ads.
This is a simple way to turn off ads inside a game on iOS devices. Another quick method is to turn on Airplane Mode on your iPhone. You can use Settings or the Control Center to enable it.
Naturally, by following the above methods, you’ll also be off the grid on WhatsApp, Facebook, iMessage, Skype, Mail, and even iCloud. Basically, any app that relies on a network connection is temporarily disabled. If you use Airplane Mode, you won’t be able to receive calls and texts.
So, is there a way to disable the internet connection for only the game (or particular app) in question and maintain connectivity for the rest of your iPhone’s features? Well, there’s a workaround.
2. Disable internet access to a particular game
Suppose you’re waiting for an important call or text, and in the meantime, you want to play your favorite game free of ads. This is where this clever solution comes in.
- Navigate to the Control Center or Settings, and tap Wi-Fi.
- Toggle Wi-Fi off.
- Next, in Settings, tap Cellular. Make sure the toggle for Cellular Data is on.
- Scroll down and under CELLULAR DATA find the particular game (or app). Turn the toggle off for this game.
- Force close the game app and relaunch it after a few seconds.
Now, when you play this game, there will be no ads. This is because there’s no active Wi-Fi connection, and Cellular Data for the particular app is turned off.
The rest of the apps and services on your iPhone will have internet connectivity via mobile data. This means no ads in the game, but normal functionalities for phone, iMessage, WhatsApp notifications, Emails, etc.
Note: You might not see all of your games in step 4 above. This means they likely don’t run ads over Cellular Data.
What if you want to know how to block ads on iPhone without digging into your data plan?
3. Use AdGuard Pro to block ads in games and apps
AdGuard is a popular and efficient ad blocker built for iOS as well as other platforms. This is our ad blocker of choice on Chrome, for example.
However, we should mention that it’s been a bit of a bumpy ride for AdGurad on iOS. Due to Apple’s guidelines, they’ve seen ups and downs to a point where their app was removed from the App Store for around a year! But, since 2019, it’s back and better than ever!
The free version of AdGuard limits ads and tracking only inside Safari. But the Pro version ($9.99) claims to do more than that—custom filters and a variety of built-in subscriptions (like EasyPrivacy) offer system-wide ad blocking for apps and games.
You might also want to take a look at VPN apps that have system-wide ad blocking features. Such apps are common on most any platform but tough to find on iOS due to Apple’s strict App Store policies.
Sometimes these apps work wonders, but with changes in the App Store’s guidelines popping up now and again, they could stop working and may even be removed from the store altogether.
So, try to contact the app developer and buy the app only after you’re satisfied with its offerings. One quick way to reach an app developer is to scroll down the app description and tap App Support. It’ll take you to their official website where you can then email them.
Those are the easiest methods to stop ads when playing games or surfing the web on your iPhone. Did any of our solutions work for you?
Let us know in the comments below, along with any questions you may have regarding Apple devices and accessories.
You may also like to read:
- Steps to know if I’m blocked on WhatsApp
- How to block specific websites in Safari on iPhone and iPad
- Block unwanted emails on iPhone, iPad, and Mac
- How to find blocked numbers on iPhone
Readers like you help support iGeeksBlog. When you make a purchase using links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more.