One of the significant new features of iOS 14 is a built-in Translator app that supports 11 languages. It allows you to quickly translate both text and voice commands. You can even access your recent translations and save some as favorites for quick access. It’s perfect for linguaphiles and travelers. So let’s check out how to use the Translate app on your iPhone.
- Which Languages Can You Translate in iOS 14?
- How to Use Translate App in iOS 14
- What is Conversation Mode on Translate App in iOS 14?
Which Languages Can You Translate in iOS 14?
To start with, Translate currently supports translation between any combination of the 11 languages below:
- Mandarin Chinese
- Brazilian Portuguese
Once you download languages, you can enjoy a fully offline experience and keep your translations private without having to turn off the internet connection on your iPhone.
How to Use Translate App in iOS 14
Before you can translate, you need to allow the Translate app to access cellular data.
Go to Settings → Translate and toggle ON Cellular Data.
Alternatively, you can enable the On-Device mode if you want the app to work offline.
For this, however, you will need to download your preferred languages as explained further below.
- Open the Translate app.
- Select the languages that you want to translate ‘from’ and ‘to’ by tapping on each and selecting from the list. In the list, you can also scroll down and download languages for seamless offline use.
- Now, you can either type in the sentence you want to translate using the respective language keyboard or tap the microphone icon and speak out what you want to translate. Your translated phrase or sentence will appear immediately.
You can tap a specific word in the translated text to get its individual meaning.
Further, if there are some particular phrases you want to keep handy, you can favorite them.
Then when you tap on the favorites tab at the bottom of the screen, you will see your saved translations as well as your most recent translations.
You can remove a translation from favorites by sliding left and tapping Unfavorite.
Similarly, you can slide left on a recent translation and then either delete it or add to favorites.
What is Conversation Mode on Translate App in iOS 14?
The Translate app boasts an innovative Conversation Mode that makes it easy to have a back-and-forth exchange with someone who speaks another language.
You simply flip your device horizontally and can then see translations side by side as each person speaks.
The app automatically detects both languages for a seamless experience.
Translate will probably grow to support more languages fairly soon. Further, iOS 14 also lets you translate webpages in Safari. Do you enjoy learning new languages? Let us know in the comments below.
You may like to read:
- Install iOS 14 Developer Beta on iPhone
- Download iOS 14 Wallpapers
- Download iPadOS 14 Developer Beta