Apart from being a handy picture library, the Photos app also acts as a media sharing platform on your iOS device. You can create an album and share it with your friends and family to keep them updated with every moment of your life. The feature has a lot more to offer than just exchanging photos and videos. If you’re interested and want to explore more than enable iCloud photo sharing and follow our guide on using shared albums on the iPhone and iPad.
- How to Create a Shared Album on iPhone and iPad
- How to Delete a Shared Album on iPhone and iPad
- How to Invite More People to View Your Album
- How to Remove Someone From the Shared Album on iOS
- How to Add Photos and Videos to the Shared Album on iOS
- How to Delete Photos and Videos From a Shared Album on iOS
- How to Save Photos and Videos From a Shared Album on iOS
Before we begin:
- Ensure that your iPhone or iPad is updated to the latest iOS and iPadOS.
- You’ve already set up iCloud on your iOS device.
- If you want to use multiple devices for album sharing, all must run on the same Apple ID.
How to Create a Shared Album on iPhone and iPad
- Open the Photos app on your iOS device.
- Tap on Albums at the bottom.
- Now, tap the “✚” button at the top left corner.
- Select New Shared Album.
- Name the album and tap Next.
- Enter the recipient’s contact number and hit Create.
The shared album is created and the recipient will be notified with your invitation about the same.
How to Delete a Shared Album on iPhone and iPad
- Tap on the shared album you want to delete.
- Go to the People tab.
- Tap Delete Shared Album from the bottom.
- Hit Delete to confirm the deletion.
The album will be deleted and removed from all your iOS devices connected with the same Apple ID and the subscriber’s device. It will also delete all the photos in the album, so make sure you save them before going ahead with this step.
How to Invite More People to View Your Album
- Select the Album that you want to share with more people.
- Tap on People from the bottom.
- Tap Invite People.
- Add contact name or number and tap on Add.
You can also share albums with your loved ones who don’t use iCloud. To do so, open shared album → People Tab → enable Public Website. Now anyone can see your shared album in a web browser through a shared link.
How to Remove Someone From the Shared Album on iOS
- Tap on the Shared Album.
- Go to the People section.
- Tap on the contact that you want to remove.
- Hit Remove Subscriber in red.
Remember, as you are the creator of that shared album, only you can remove a contact or delete the album.
How to Add Photos and Videos to the Shared Album on iOS
Photos and videos can be added to the shared album in two ways. Open the shared album and tap the + button to add from All Photos. Or,
- Open an image in the Photos tab.
- Tap on the Share button at the bottom.
- Scroll down and select Add to Shared Album.
- Select the shared album and add a comment if you want.
- Hit Post to add it.
Likewise, you can select and add multiple photos and videos to the shared album this way.
How to Delete Photos and Videos From a Shared Album on iOS
- Open a shared album in the Photos app.
- Tap on Select at the top right corner to delete multiple files.
- Then Tap on an image or video and hit the Delete button from the top right corner.
- Tap delete to confirm the deletion.
Remember if you’re the creator of a shared album, you can delete any photos, videos, and comments added by any subscriber. But other members can only delete files and comments uploaded from their end.
Also, anything you delete will be permanently removed from all your devices and your subscribers’ devices. However, files that you already saved or downloaded to your library won’t be affected.
How to Save Photos and Videos From a Shared Album on iOS
When other subscribers add photos and videos to your shared album, you can save it in your photos library, so later if they delete them, you can still view in your photo library.
- Open a photo or video that you want to save.
- Tap the Share button from the bottom.
- Select Save Image or Save Video.
List of File Types are Supported in Shared Albums
Below-mentioned is the list of image formats supported in Shared Albums
You can also add special formats like slow-motion, time-lapse, memory videos and live photos to a shared album. However, when you add such files, they may lose resolution to 2048 pixels unless they’re panoramic pictures with up to 5400 pixels. GIFS that are 100MB and smaller can also be shared to the album.
These are the video formats supported in a shared album.
Videos that are up to fifteen minutes in length can be added at up to 720p resolution.
Note: About Shared Albums Storage Limit
A shared album can contain 5000 photos and videos at max. When you reach this limit, you can only add new photos and videos after deleting some from the album.
The photos app has got a cool feature to exchange photos and videos on your iOS device. You can effortlessly share every moment you capture on your iPhone or iPad with your loved ones. After giving it a try, you may want to stop using the social media app to share pictures with your friends and family. What do you think about it? Let us know in the comment section below.
- How to Add Caption to Photos and Videos on iPhone and iPad
- Hide Photos and Videos in Photos App on iPhone
- Turn Live Photos into GIFs on iPhone and iPad
- How to Remove Filters and Effects from Photos on iPhone