The double tap gesture helps you perform most of the everyday actions on the Apple Watch Series 9 and Ultra 2 without touching the display. Sounds interesting, right? Let’s learn how to use the double tap gesture on Apple Watch.
- How does the double tap feature on Apple Watch work?
- How to enable double tap on Apple Watch Series 9 and Ultra 2
- How to use double tap on any Apple Watch
- Benefits of using the double tap gesture on Apple Watch
How does the double tap feature on Apple Watch work?
The double tap gesture relies on the Neural Engine in the S9 chipset, which utilizes the accelerometer, gyroscope, and optical heart sensor with a new machine learning algorithm.
To trigger a double tap, all you have to do is tap the index and thumb fingers twice quickly. The algorithm detects tiny wrist movements and changes in blood flow whenever you do this for better accuracy and fewer accidental triggers.
You can use the Double tap function to:
- Receive/end calls
- Stop a timer in the Timer app.
- Play/pause music in the Music app
- Snooze an alarm and more.
- Also, double-tapping from the watch face will launch Smart Stacks, and you can keep double-tapping to scroll through Smart Stacks.
The double tap feature on Apple Watch Series 9 and Ultra 2 demonstrates Apple’s commitment to providing practical solutions that streamline daily interactions with wearable technology with its responsive and user-friendly design.
Note: Apple will be adding more functionalities to the gesture with upcoming software updates.
How to enable double tap on Apple Watch Series 9 and Ultra 2
- Access the Settings app on your Apple Watch.
- Scroll down to Gestures.
- Select the Double Tap option → Toggle on Double Tap to start using the gesture.
Note: As of writing, the double tap feature is natively available on just Apple Watch Series 9 and Ultra 2, running watchOS 10.1 or later.
But what if you’re equipped with an older version of the Apple Watch? Don’t fret; I possess information that is likely to surprise you. Here’s a workaround to start using the gesture on any Apple Watch
How to use double tap on any Apple Watch
- Launch the Watch app on your iPhone.
- Go to Accessibility → Quick Actions.
- Select the On option when prompted.
- Now, head back to the Accessibility menu.
- Select AssistiveTouch to proceed → Toggle on the AssistiveTouch option.
- Now, tap and enable Hand Gestures.
- Tap Learn more → Continue to get the gist of this feature.
- Once understood, you can allocate a command to the following actions:
Pinch, Double Pinch, Clench, and Double Clench.
- You can further set an Activation Gesture to your liking.
This Accessibility feature can further be customized to trigger shortcuts for frequently used applications, making it easier for individuals to access their most-used functionalities swiftly. With this hidden gem in the Apple Watch, you can get improved productivity and seamless navigation without buying the newly released Series 9 or Ultra 2.
Benefits of using the double tap gesture on Apple Watch
Even though this feature speaks for itself, some significant use cases can be extremely helpful. Such as:
- It saves considerable time and effort in navigating the watch’s interface.
- Users can also easily switch between recently used apps, allowing seamless multitasking and efficiency in workflow management.
- The double tap feature enables discreet communication through tapping patterns, which is useful in situations where speaking is inconvenient.
As a result, using the double tap gesture with the Apple Watch increases efficiency, convenience, and privacy while performing work-related tasks and daily activities.
No, the double tap gesture is a system-wide feature, meaning you can use it across various watch faces and apps for a consistent and efficient user experience.
Not at all! The double tap gesture is designed to be energy-efficient, ensuring it enhances your user experience without significantly impacting battery life.
Tap your way into the future!
The art of double-tapping on your Apple Watch Series 9 and Ultra 2 is all yours now. Seamlessly integrating technology into our daily lives has never been so gratifying. So go ahead, double tap your way through notifications, apps, and a world of endless possibilities.
Thank you for reading. Please take a moment to leave your thoughts in the comment section below.
- How to activate Night Mode on Apple Watch Ultra 2
- Best Apple Watch Ultra 2 accessories
- Apple Watch double tap gesture not working? Easy ways to fix it!
- How to use Action button on Apple Watch Ultra 2
Readers like you help support iGeeksBlog. When you make a purchase using links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read Disclaimer.