Apple SharePlay lets you watch movies, listen to music, or share your Apple TV screen with friends and family in real time. So, it’s a great way to connect and enjoy content together. But it brings a bit of inconvenience as well.
Whenever I receive a FaceTime call on my iPhone, my Apple TV pauses the ongoing content and asks to start SharePlay. However, the FaceTime caller has not initiated it. If you face the same issues, you must disable SharePlay on your Apple TV. Here, I will share how to turn off SharePlay on Apple TV, avoiding interruptions in your streaming experience.
- How to end a SharePlay session on Apple TV
- How to disable SharePlay on Apple TV
- How to disable SharePlay from iPhone
- Methods to stop SharePlay from automatically starting on Apple TV
If you use SharePlay on Apple TV, you might already know how to end a session. However, just as a refresher, I’d like to mention the steps here:
- Open Control Center by holding down the TV button on Apple TV remote.
- Select SharePlay → Stop SharePlay.
If you don’t want to receive SharePlay invites from others, you can turn off SharePlay altogether on your Apple TV. Besides, automatically starting SharePlay could expose your personal information and interrupt your “me” time.
- Open Settings on your Apple TV.
- Choose User Accounts → Select your username.
- Select Shared with You → Toggle it OFF.
That’s all! It will disable SharePlay on your Apple TV.
But I’ve experienced that only turning off SharePlay on my Apple TV doesn’t resolve the issue. With each FaceTime call, I was still getting SharePlay pop-ups, interrupting my binge-watching. Therefore, I further turned off SharePlay on my iPhone to stop it from automatically starting.
Before proceeding, ensure your iPhone and Apple TV are logged in with the same Apple ID.
- Go to the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Select FaceTime → SharePlay.
- Toggle off SharePlay.
Sometimes disabling the SharePlay feature doesn’t do the trick. In that case, you must perform additional troubleshooting steps to eliminate automatic SharePlay sessions on your Apple TV.
- Restart your Apple TV: After you turn off SharePlay, restart your Apple TV to apply the settings correctly.
- Update your tvOS: Keep your Apple TV updated to avoid potential bugs and glitches.
- Reset your Apple TV: If you’ve tried all the above and SharePlay is still automatically starting, you can reset your Apple TV and disable SharePlay again.
- Contact Apple Support: If the above methods do not resolve the issue, contact Apple Support for further assistance. They can provide specific troubleshooting steps tailored to your situation and help identify any underlying software or hardware issues.
Enjoy your uninterrupted solo sessions!
Turning off SharePlay on your Apple TV is a straightforward process that grants you control over your streaming experience. Following the steps mentioned above, you can disable SharePlay effortlessly and enjoy your freedom to choose when and how you share content with others.
Do you like using SharePlay? Let me know in the comments below!
- tvOS 17: Best features, compatibility, release date, and more
- SharePlay not working on iPhone? Let’s fix it
- Apple TV tips and hidden features
Readers like you help support iGeeksBlog. When you make a purchase using links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more.
Ava is an enthusiastic consumer tech writer coming from a technical background. She loves to explore and research new Apple products & accessories and help readers easily decode the tech. Along with studying, her weekend plan includes binge-watching anime.