Have you ever been in a situation where you can’t remember your Wi-Fi password when someone asks for it? This has happened to me a bunch of times. Although iPhone and Android are chalk and cheese, it is possible to share Wi-Fi passwords between the two. This post will show you how to do it from iPhone to Android and vice-versa. Let’s dive in!
- Transfer Wi-Fi password directly from Settings app in iOS 16
- Generate QR code to share Wi-Fi password between iPhone and Android
- Share a Wi-Fi network from iPhone to Android using Shortcuts app
Transfer Wi-Fi password directly from Settings app in iOS 16
iOS 16 allows you to directly access Wi-Fi passwords that are saved on your device. You can simply tap on the show password in the settings app and get access to it. To reveal the password and share across, follow the below steps:
- Open the Settings app.
- Select Wi-Fi.
- Tap the (i) button next to the Wi-Fi network.
- Hit the Password tab to reveal the password.
- Tap Copy to copy the password to your clipboard.
Now, you can share the Wi-Fi password with whomever you want to.
Now, open the Camera app or a QR Reader app on your iPhone/Android phone and scan the QR. Tap the Wi-Fi link that appears to connect to the network.
If you’re looking for an app, try Visual Codes, as it’s quite easy to use and free of charge. While the steps would vary from app to app, the idea is the same. Open app → tap Connect To Wi-Fi → Enter Wi-Fi name or password → generate QR code and share the screenshot with whomsoever.
Sharing the Wi-Fi password from iPhone to Android is a bit more complicated than iPhone to iPhone. Apple does not provide an option natively to share your Wi-Fi passwords, so what we will be doing is generate a QR code based on the network credentials.
Depending upon the usage, you can either use a website or an app to do so. A website is great for one scenario, while the app will suit you more if you generate QRs regularly.
I am choosing QR-code-genrator.com to explain the process. You can pick a different one if you like.
- Open your phone’s browser and launch the website.
- Click the Wi-Fi option.
- Enter Your Wi-Fi network’s name in the network SSID.
- Enter your Wi-Fi password and tick down the encryption method.
- Tap on Generate to get the QR code.
- Download the QR code in JPG format.
- Firstly, visit this link to get the Share Wi-Fi shortcut on your iPhone.
- Select the Get Shortcut option.
- You’ll be redirected to the Shortcuts app; tap Add Shortcut.
- To configure the shortcut, tap 3 horizontal dots at the top right of the Share Wi-Fi shortcut.
- Replace the text Add Wi-Fi password with your password.
- Hit Cross (x) or Done at the top right.
- Now, whenever you need to share the password, just tap on the shortcut and select “Get Network Name.”
You’ll get the QR code with which you can share your Wi-Fi password. Yep, it’s that easy.
You can only AirDrop to Apple devices. To Airdrop your Wi-Fi password with your friend’s Apple device, just ask them to tap on that Wi-Fi network, and you will get a prompt on your Apple device to share.
Yes, it can. Head to the settings app and turn on the portable hotspot under tethering settings.
That’s all from my side. The ways mentioned here will help you easily share Wi-Fi passwords from iPhone to Android devices. If you’re still stranded with doubts, shoot them in the comment below.
While you’re here, check these out:
- Share Wi-Fi passwords from iPhone, iPad, and Mac
- How to find your Wi-Fi password on iPhone (3 Ways)
- How to find Wi-Fi password on Mac (2 Easy Ways)
- How to fix an iPhone that won’t turn on or keeps restarting
Tech Junkie and Computer Science Undergrad, who loves experimenting things and everything Apple.