The latest update in Dropbox brings a few cool features to the table. These were missing in earlier versions (or in one case, it was complicated and tedious before).
While Dropbox for iPhone/iPad does a good job of syncing stuff across all your linked devices and letting you view photos etc., there are a few file management and sharing features that it hadn't yet nailed. The new update – which comes after Dropbox acquired Mailbox (the insanely popular Gmail client) – appears to have adopted one important feature: gesture-based actions.
So in this short tutorial, we'll see how you can share folders and files without having to open them. We'll also check out the new multiphoto sharing which lets you share multiple photos at once.
How to Share Folders and Files Easily in Dropbox App for iPhone/iPad:
- Open Dropbox
- Swipe right on the folder/file you want to share
- Tap on the share icon. Notice the other two icons? You can “move” or “delete” a file/folder from this swipe gesture too.
As you can see, this swipe gesture works on anything: file/folder. If it's a file, you can also ‘star' / ‘favorite' it so it's available in offline mode.
How to Share Multiple Photos in iPhone/iPad Dropbox App
In the Photos tab of the app, you can easily select multiple photos to share or to delete them at once. Here's how to share multiple photos:
- Open Dropbox
- Tap on the Photos tab (from the menu)
- Now, tap on the little share icon on the top-right of the screen
- Select the photos you want to share
- Tap on the big Share button on top-right again
- You get this whole list of things to share through: email, Facebook and so on. You can also copy the link and send it through Whatsapp, iMessage or other messaging service.
Funnily enough, Dropbox puts the delete button further deep. To delete multiple photos, you have to first tap on the three dots (top-right) and then tap on Edit. Then, after having selected the photos to be deleted, you have to hit Delete.
Dropbox can be downloaded for free from the App Store.