Apple Notes is becoming powerful with every new iOS update, and this time, it got the most requested feature to add links to related notes. Now you can quickly jump from one note to another, even if they are in different folders of the Notes app. This guide will walk you through the steps to create links between notes in Apple Notes in iOS 17 and macOS Sonoma.
- How to link notes in Notes app on iPhone or iPad
- How to link notes in Notes app on Mac
- What are the benefits of linking notes in Apple Notes?
How to link notes in Notes app on iPhone or iPad
There are 2 simple methods to seamlessly link your Apple Notes on iPhone. Learn more about them below.
Method 1: Add links to recent notes in iOS 17
- Open the Notes app → Go to an existing note or create a new note.
- Enter two greater than sign (>>) at the exact place where you want to insert the link.
The quick link feature will list the six most recent notes.
- Select the note you wish to insert or link.
- You can see the note title in yellow with an underline and notes icon at the front.
Please note that, while using this method, Apple Notes won’t let you change the text over the hyperlink. It will, by default, take the title of the linked note.
Method 2: Add links to older and shared notes on iPhone
This method is helpful when you want to connect older notes with links. Also, I use it to link my team’s shared notes.
- Open a note → Tap the place where you want to insert the link.
- Press and hold the blinking cursor until a pop-up menu appears.
- Tap the right arrow icon (>) in the popover menu.
You may also swipe right.
- Select Add Link.
- Now, to link your older notes, type the existing note title or the first word/sentence of the note.
- Select the desired note from the suggestions.
- Tap Done to confirm.
Create custom hyperlinks in Apple Notes on iPhone
There’s one issue I faced with both the above methods. For the hyperlink, when I used the same title as my shared note, it confused the people I shared it with.
Fortunately, Apple Notes allows you to add custom words as the label when adding links to another related note to note.
- As mentioned above, tap and hold a space in notes → Choose Add Link.
- Type the existing note’s title/first word or sentence of the note → Select the note.
Notes can’t fetch your notes based on a word or phrase from the middle of a note.
- Toggle off Use Note Title as Name.
- Enter the hyperlink label you want to use in the Optional text box.
- Tap Done.
Further, you can insert hyperlinks, just like you do on websites.
- Double-tap on any text in your notes.
- Swipe right on the popover menu.
- Tap Add Link.
- Type any existing note name or paste any shared note URL.
How to remove links in Apple Notes on iPhone
If you used Method 1 to create the interlink, deleting the entire text is necessary to remove the link.
However, if you utilized Method 2 for linking notes, follow these steps to remove the link.
- Double-tap the link to see a popover menu.
- Choose Remove Link.
That’s it! Doing so will remove the text and leave the text as is.
How to link notes in Notes app on Mac
Adding links in Notes on Mac is way easier than on iPhone. I prefer it more because the notes will be synced across all my devices.
- Open the Notes app.
- Select the text in your notes or place your cursor where you want to insert the link.
- Hit Command + K.
Alternatively, you can right-click on the text → Choose Add Link.
- Enter your existing note’s name → Select the desired note.
You may use custom words as hyperlink text.
- Click OK.
When you click the link, it will open the linked note in the same window.
Another thing I want to highlight. Don’t confuse this quick link feature with the anchor icon on the Mac Notes toolbar. Tapping the anchor icon will let you add a link to your Safari’s most recent tab on your notes.
Remove a linked note on Mac
Like adding links to related notes, removing a link on Mac is a cakewalk.
- Hover your cursor over the link → Right-click the link.
- Click Remove Link.
What are the benefits of linking notes in Apple Notes?
Apple has played its masterstroke by letting users create links between notes in Apple Notes in iOS 17 and macOS Sonoma. So, now you don’t need to use those popular note-taking apps like Notion and do most of the work on the native Notes app. You must try the quick link feature for:
- Enhanced organization: Linking notes allows you to establish relationships between related notes. So, it creates a more structured and interconnected system of notes.
- Easy navigation: By creating links, you can quickly jump between related notes without manually searching or browsing through your entire collection. This saves time and improves efficiency.
- Contextual understanding: Links provide context and establish associations between ideas, helping you create a “wiki” for your notes. So you can easily find the information you need and gain a deeper understanding of the subject.
- Project management: When working on complex projects, linking relevant notes together helps maintain a cohesive overview and streamline workflows.
- Collaboration and sharing: Linked notes can be shared with others. Therefore, you can ensure everyone has access to interconnected information while collaborating.
Enjoy seamless navigation!
Creating links between notes in Apple Notes on iOS 17 and macOS Sonoma enhances organization, improves productivity, and facilitates a deeper understanding of information. Whether you are an avid note-taker or a professional managing complex projects, it can significantly enhance your note-taking experience. So, start leveraging the benefits of linked notes in Apple Notes!
- 29 Tips to use Notes app on iPhone like a pro!
- How to share Notes app folders on iPhone, iPad, and Mac
- How to use block quotes in Apple Notes in iOS 17, iPadOS 17 and macOS Sonoma
- 11 Ways to fix Apple Notes not syncing between iPhone and Mac
Readers like you help support iGeeksBlog. When you make a purchase using links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read Disclaimer.