Earlier, you were required to use the iPhone to install apps on your Apple Watch. But with watchOS 6, Apple brings a dedicated App Store. You can now download apps directly on Apple Watch. In addition to the new method, you also have the previous way to install apps on Apple Watch using the iPhone. So, without further ado, let’s jump on to the methods.
- How to Install Apps on your Apple Watch
- How to Install Apple Watch Apps Using iPhone
- How to Update Apple Watch Apps
- How to Delete Apps from Apple Watch
- How to Use your iPhone to Manage your Watch Apps
How to Install Apps on your Apple Watch
- From the Watch Home Screen, tap the App Store icon
- If you want to search for a specific app, tap on Search. Next, use Scribble or Dictation to input the app name. Or, you can scroll down and discover featured apps and curated collection of great Apple Watch apps.
- Next, tap on an app to open its description
- Tap on Get (if it is a free app) or tap on the price (if it is a paid app)
- When asked, double-click the right side button to download and install the app on your Apple Watch.
Note: If you download an Apple Watch app for the first time, it automatically appears on your iPhone too. But you can change this by opening the Settings app on your iOS device → iTunes & App Store → and turn off Apps under Automatic Downloads.
How to Install Apple Watch Apps Using iPhone
If you install an app on iPhone that comes with an Apple Watch companion app, it will automatically install it on the Watch. But if you want to install specific apps, follow the below steps.
- Open the Watch app on your iPhone
- Under My Watch, tap General, then turn off Automatic App Install.
- Under My Watch, then scroll down to Available Apps.
- Tap on Install next to the apps you want to install.
How to Update Apple Watch Apps
You can either update apps manually or automatically on your Apple Watch. Here we explained both methods.
Update Your Apple Watch Apps Manually
- Press the Digital Crown to get to the Watch Home Screen. Tap on the App Store icon and scroll to the end
- Tap Account.
- Tap Updates.
- Finally, you can tap Update All or tap on Update only for an individual app.
Update Your Apple Watch Apps Automatically
- From the Apple Watch Home Screen, tap on the Settings app
- Tap App Store.
- Enable Automatic Updates to download updates automatically for your Apple Watch apps.
Note: Automatic Downloads is different from Automatic Updates. If you turn on Automatic Download, then new apps that you get for free or purchase on other devices will automatically download on your Apple Watch too.
Additionally, you can also find these settings in the App Store section of the Watch app on your paired iPhone.
How to Delete Apps from Apple Watch
- Press the Digital Crown on your Apple Watch to get to the Home Screen
- Touch and hold on an app icon. Leave the hold when you see a small cross icon (X) in the top left of the app icon
- Tap the cross (X) and then tap Delete App.
You can use this method to delete stock apps.
How to Use your iPhone to Manage your Watch Apps
It is effortless to manage Apple Watch app from your paired iPhone. Here is how.
- Open the Watch app on your iPhone and tap on My Watch tab
- Apps that are not yet installed on the Watch appear under the AVAILABLE APPS section.
- To add an app, tap on Install next to it
- If you wish to remove an app from Apple Watch, tap on an app and then turn off the toggle for Show App on Apple Watch.
It’s convenient to directly install apps on your Apple Watch but bear in mind that the screen size is pretty small. So it may be a good idea to limit the clutter and only install the best apps that you really need and use frequently. Looking for more Apple Watch tutorials? Let us know in the comments below.
- How to Force Quit Apple Watch Apps
- How to Sync Music from iPhone to Apple Watch
- Best Apple Watch Series 5 Leather Bands
If you have any doubt or question, feel free to reach us using the comments section below.