Your iPhone’s Health app is a powerful tool for tracking your health and fitness data. It can collect data from a variety of sources, which can be used to track your progress over time, identify trends, and set goals. But what if you want to share this data or create a backup? Therefore, in this guide I will show you how you can export Health data from your iPhone.
- How to export Health data using the Health app on iPhone
- How to export Health data using a third-party app on iPhone
How to export Health data using the Health app on iPhone
The Health app has a built-in feature that allows you to export your Health data as a ZIP file containing two XML files. These files have all the raw data recorded by the Health app, but it may not be readable. However, you can still use it to back up your data or import it into other apps that support XML format. Here are the steps to export your Health data using the Health app:
- Open the Health app → Tap your profile picture.
- Select Export All Health Data.
- Tap Export → Select a preferred location or app to export the ZIP file.
Within the exported ZIP file, you can find:
- Electrocardiograms: ECG records
- export_cda.xml and export.xml: Medical records
- Exercise routes: GPS coordinates from your workouts in .gpx format
However, you can’t view the exported Health data natively on your iPhone. Besides, there are a few drawbacks to exporting data using the Health app:
- The health metrics you wish to export cannot be specified.
- You can select a specific date or date range while exporting data.
- Health information is exported into an XML file that is complex to read.
Because of the aforementioned reasons it’s recommended to export your Health data using third-party apps which offer a user-friendly interface.
How to export Health data using a third-party app on iPhone
Besides the default Health app on your iPhone, you can also use third-party apps to export your Health data. We have opted for the Health Reports app as it allows you to select specific health metrics to include in a report, which can be exported as a PDF, CSV or JSON file. Here’s how you can use the app:
- Install the Health Reports app from the App Store.
- Open the Health Report app → Tap Enable Health Access.
- Tap Turn On All → Allow and grant access to Health data.
- Enter your full name → Tap Save & Continue.
- Tap the date selector to select a date range.
- Select a health metric you want to export the data for.
You may tap Fine-tune settings to customize the report.
- Tap Generate report → Select Save as PDF or Export.
You may tap Export to save the report as a CSV or JSON file.
You can export all of the data that is stored in the Health app. This includes data about your activity, fitness, nutrition, sleep, blood pressure, and more.
Yes, you can easily export your Health data to a spreadsheet or any other format using third-party apps. There are a number of third-party apps that can convert Health data to different formats such as PDF, JSON, CSV, or XML.
There isn’t any native way to import your Health data into the Health app on your iPhone. However, there are some paid third-party apps like Health Data Importer that allow you to import XML backups into the Health app.
You can access your Health data on your new iPhone without exporting it. Go to Settings → Your name → iCloud → Tap Show All → Select Health → Toggle on Sync this iPhone. Now log into your new iPhone using the same Apple ID to access the Health data from the iCloud Backup.
Which method you choose to export your Health data depends entirely on your individual needs. If you just need to export all of your data to a single file, then using the Health app itself would be the simplest option. However, if you are looking for a way to export specific types of data or convert the data to a different format, then you may want to use a third-party app.
If this guide was able to help export your health data, don’t forget to leave us a comment stating which method you found to be the most useful.
- How to delete sleep schedules in Health app on iPhone
- How to use Mental Wellbeing in Health app in iOS 17
- How to track steps with the iPhone Health app
Readers like you help support iGeeksBlog. When you make a purchase using links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read Disclaimer.