Unlike other devices (iOS, Android, macOS, Windows), it is not easy to pair AirPods with PS4 and Xbox. But if you are a gamer and love your wireless buds, you might want to use them comfortably while gaming. So, despite the process not being straightforward, here is how to connect and use AirPods with PS4 and Xbox Controller.
Note: The following method works for AirPods (1st, 2nd, and 3rd gen), AirPods Pro (1st and 2nd gen), and AirPods Max.
How to connect AirPods with PS4 Controller
Since you can not directly connect any version of AirPods, including the newest AirPods Pro 2, to PS4, we will have to use a Bluetooth dongle. So we have opted for AirFly Pro from Twelve South, which we reviewed a while back.
- Connect the AirFly Pro to the Dualshock 4’s 3.5mm headphone jack
- Put the AirFly Pro in TX (transmit mode). Hold the button for a few seconds until you see the light flashing. The device is ready to accept pairing
- Open the AirPods case with both pieces inside it. Now, press and hold the pairing button at the back of the charging case. After a few seconds, you will see the AirPods case light flash white
- Give a few seconds for AirFly Pro and AirPods to pair. After pairing is successful, the AirFly will have a white light. The AirPods case light will glow green (if the case is adequately charged) or amber (if less than one full charge remains). Nevertheless, your AirPods are now connected with AirFly Pro, which is connected to the PS4 Controller
Drawback: You can only hear the chat and other incoming sounds. You can not talk back as AirFly Pro can only transmit to the headphones. It can not receive your voice chat audio.
Other alternatives to AirFly Pro for connecting AirPods to PS4
- PS4 Wireless Bluetooth Dongle: It allows you to listen and talk through your Apple AirPods while you game. We have not tested it, though
- Avantree Leaf Class 1 Long Range USB Bluetooth Audio Transmitter: It claims to have Talk Mode that allows chatting, though we have not tested it and thus can not confirm or deny.
Another method is to use the Remote Play app on your iPhone and Android. It is easy. You have to first register and activate it with your PS4. After that, go to the Bluetooth settings of your smartphone and pair the AirPods.
This method has its own share of hits, misses, and jerks. But, since PlayStation allows only officially licensed wireless headphones to connect seamlessly, there are some sacrifices to accept if you wish to use AirPods with PS4.
Finally, you may also try connecting the AirPods with your smart TV. If it supports, the incoming audio from PlayStation will be routed to AirPods via the smart TV.
Readers like you help support iGeeksBlog. When you make a purchase using links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read Disclaimer.