Since long PlayStation 4 users had the question, ‘is there a way to play PS4 games on iPhone and iPad?’ Well, there is. Earlier, we had to rely on third-party apps, but in 2019, Sony brought out the official PS4 Remote Play app on the App Store.
What is the PS4 Remote Play App?
PS4 Remote Play allows you to stream and play your PS4 games, browse console’s menu, and switch between titles on Android, iOS, Mac, or PC. It requires home broadband/Wi-Fi to work. The PS4 Remote Play app is not a replacement. It simply streams the content from PS4 to your iPhone or iPad, where you can play using on-screen buttons or DUALSHOCK, or MFi Controllers.
What Do You Need to Play PS4 Games on iPhone?
- iPhone running iOS 12.1 or later
- PlayStation 4 running 6.50 firmware or later
- PlayStation Account
- Excellent Wi-Fi
- PS4 Remote Play iOS App
- MFi Controller for a better experience (Optional)
Before you Begin
- Make sure iPhone and PS4 are on the same Wi-Fi network (Mobile Data support isn’t there.)
- In PS4 home screen, scroll to the right and click on Settings (briefcase icon.) Next, click on System Software Update and make sure you are running the latest version. If not, update it
How to Set up and Play PS4 Games on iPhone and iPad
- Download the PS4 Remote Play app on your iPhone or iPad
- Open the app and tap on Start → Confirm and Continue.
- The app will start searching for PS4. But, since you are not signed in, it will take you to the sign-in page. Log in using your PlayStation account.
- After sign in, the app will now again start looking for PS4. If it doesn’t find, you may tap on Register Manually. Or, after an unsuccessful search, the app will automatically take you to the manual registration page
- Now, on your PlayStation, open the Settings menu, scroll down and click on Remote Play Connection Settings.
- Check the box for Enable Remote Play → Add Device. You will see an eight-digit code
- Enter this code in the PS4 Remote Play app
- The iOS app will take a few seconds to connect with your PS4. After the process completes, your iPhone display will have on-screen touch controls and the PS4 screen
You may now play games on your iPhone in portrait mode or turn on landscape mode. Enjoy!
Things To Know About PS4 Gaming Experience on iPhone
- You will get a better experience if you use a controller. This will remove the on-screen buttons and make your gameplay comparatively engaging
- You can use a DUALSHOCK 4 wireless controller to enjoy your gaming session (requires iOS 13 or higher)
- There are latency issues due to multiple factors. So, this whole PS4 gaming on iPhone is suitable for turn-based games and such. Do not expect to get a great experience with rapid action titles
- The iOS app streams the content over the internet (Wi-Fi). It is not rendered on the phone itself. Thus visuals are of inferior quality than TV
- If your Wi-Fi is choppy, you will face trouble and disconnection. You may, however, turn down the video quality settings
- With PS4 and PS4 Slim, you can get up to 720p resolution on the PS4 Remote Play app. With PS4 Pro, you can stream at 1080p
- The Remote Play app will lose its connection if you turn off the PS4
Sony PS4 Remote Play App Alternative
You may also try the R-Play – Remote Play for PS4 app. This is a paid app that costs $14.99. It allows you to stream your PlayStation 4 games even over mobile data! At the time of writing, we found that the app has good ratings and user feedback. If you do not like it, you can request a refund!
You may also like to read…
- Best Game Controllers for iPad Pro
- How to Install GBA4iOS on iPhone to Play Retro Games
- How to Connect AirPods to Xbox One and PS4 Controller
What are your thoughts on playing PS4 games on iPhone? Share with everyone in the comments down below.