iCloud can back up photos, videos, device backups, documents, app data, voice memos, messages, and more. If you have a big photo library or own multiple Apple devices, chances are you have exceeded the 5GB tier that comes free with every Apple ID. As a result, you might often see a popup saying ‘iCloud Storage is Full.’ In such cases, you will have to pay and upgrade your storage plan. Alternatively, if you are on a higher plan and now do not need it, you can downgrade effortlessly and save money. In this guide, let me show you how to change your iCloud storage plan on iPhone, iPad, Mac, and Windows PC.
- What Happens When You Change the iCloud Storage Plan?
- How to Upgrade or Downgrade iCloud Storage Plan on iPhone
- How to Upgrade or Downgrade iCloud Storage Plan on Mac
- How to Change iCloud Storage Plan on Windows PC
What Happens When You Change the iCloud Storage Plan?
- When you upgrade: Space that you purchase is shared across all your devices that have the same Apple ID. So, it does not matter which device you initially use to buy a storage plan. If you choose 200GB or 2TB plan, you can even share it with your family via Family Sharing.
- When you downgrade: If you downgrade to a cheaper plan or free plan, and in case the data already stored exceeds the new plan’s capacity, then some of it won’t be uploaded to iCloud.
How to Upgrade or Downgrade iCloud Storage Plan on iPhone
- Open the Settings app and tap on your Profile from the top and tap on iCloud.
- Now, tap on Manage Storage → Change Storage Plan.
- To Upgrade: under CHOOSE UPGRADE, tap on a plan. Next, tap on Buy.
- To Downgrade: tap on Downgrade Options → Enter your Apple ID password when asked and tap on Manage → select a plan and tap on Done.
- When you upgrade, you get more storage immediately.
- If you would like to cancel the upgrade and get a refund, contact Apple Support within 14 days
- When you downgrade, the storage decrease will come into effect after your current subscription ends.
How to Upgrade or Downgrade iCloud Storage Plan on Mac
- Click on the Apple logo and choose System Preferences.
- Click on Apple ID.
- Click on iCloud → Manage.
- Click on Buy More Storage or Change Storage Plan.
- Choose the desired upgrade or downgrade plan and click on Next.
- Enter your Apple ID password and click on Buy.
How to Change iCloud Storage Plan on Windows PC
- Launch iCloud for Windows and click on Storage.
- Next, click on Buy More Storage or Change Storage Plan.
- Select a plan and then click on Next.
- Type your Apple ID password and click on Buy.
This is how you can effortlessly upgrade or downgrade your iCloud storage plan. If you have multiple Apple devices, paying for iCloud makes sense. This is because it seamlessly connects all your devices and ensures that media, documents, backups are available everywhere. Additionally, you may also consider checking out some of the other best cloud storage apps.
You may also like to read: