Following the launch of iOS 14, you might’ve seen some iPhone users showing off colorful new app icons on social media.
Using your own photos, you too can design a stylish iPhone home screen. Ready to know more? Let’s jump in and take a look at how to change app icons on iPhone with Shortcuts.
- When you tap on the customized app icons, Shortcuts will open and then the main app. Update: In iOS 14.3, the apps open directly from the home screen without first launching Shortcuts. We hope this stays in the final public release.
- These customized app icons won’t show Notification Badges – those tiny red dots in the app icons’ corner with a number inside them.
How to change the app icons in iOS 14 Home Screen
- Open Shortcuts. Make sure you’re in the My Shortcuts tab.
- Tap the plus button in the top right, and then tap Add Action.
- Select Scripting → Open App. Or, you may also search for ‘Open App’.
- Now, tap on Choose and select the app icon you want to change.
- Next, tap More (three dots) in the top right. Tap on Add to Home Screen.
- Tap on the shortcut icon and choose one of the three options: Choose File, Choose Photo, or Take Photo. If your image is saved in Photos, tap Choose Photo. Now, select the desired image and then tap Choose.
- Optional but recommended: Rename the shortcut. Though you can give it any name, it would be convenient to use the app name.
- Finally, tap Add in the top right. Tap Done to finish.
Your new icon is added to the home screen. Repeat the process for any other app you want.
The above method also works on iOS 13 and iPadOS.
Note: We’re not actually changing the app icon with these steps, just creating a shortcut to the desired app with a customized icon.
Now, to have a fully customized look, hide the original app from the home screen. All apps will still be viewable in the App Library. To do this, long press on the app icon → Remove App → Remove from Home Screen.
After you’re finished, only the custom icons show on the home screen, and the original app is available in the App Library. You can access them by swiping right on the last page of your home screen.
Now you know how to change app icons on your iPhone. Further, you can also use a combination of widgets to make your iPhone Home Screen even more visually appealing. You can also check out our list of best app icon packs and best third-party home screen widgets.
Using these customized app icons and widgets, people have created some unique iPhone Home screens. Take a look!