Immediately after the launch of iOS 14, you might have seen many users customize app icons on their iPhone and share them on social media. Using desired pictures, you, too, can create amazing looking iPhone Home screens. Ready to know more? Let me tell you everything about it and show you how to change app icons on iOS 14 Home Screen using the Shortcuts app.
- When you tap on these customized app icons, the Shortcuts app will open and then the main app.
- These customized app icons won’t show Notification Badges – those tiny red dots in the app icons’ corner with a number inside them.
It is good to have the fancied app icons/pictures saved to the Photos or Files app. You can get aesthetic app icons from websites like Icons8, Pinterest, etc. You may also click an image during the process.
How to Change App Icons on iPhone Home Screen Using Shortcuts
- Open the Shortcuts app. Make sure you are in the My Shortcuts tab.
- Tap on the plus button from the top right and then Add Action
- Next, tap on Add Action.
- Select on Scripting → Open App. Or, you may also search for ‘Open App.‘
- Now, tap on Choose and select the desired app whose Home screen icon you wish to change.
- Next, tap on the More icon (three dots) from the top right. Tap on Add to Home Screen.
- Tap on the shortcut icon and choose one of the three options – Choose File, Choose Photo, Take Photo. If your image is in the Photos app, tap on Choose Photo. Now, tap on the desired image and then tap on Choose.
- Optional but recommended: Rename the shortcut. Though you can give it any name, it would be convenient to use the app name.
- Finally, tap on Add from the top right. Tap on Done to finish.
The shortcut icon is added to the Home screen. Repeat the process for all other apps you desire.
The above method also works on iOS 13 and iPadOS.
We are not actually changing the app icon with these steps but only creating a quick shortcut to launch that app, and this shortcut has the desired app icon image.
Now, to have a fully customized look, hide the original app from the Home screen into the App Library. To do this, long press on the app icon → Remove App → Remove from Home Screen.
After this, you only have the custom icons on the home screen, and the original app is available only in the App Library, which you can access by swiping right to left on the last Home screen.
This is how you can change app icons on the iPhone. Further, you may also use a combination of widgets to make your iPhone Home Screen even more exciting. Besides, you must also check out our list of best third party home screen widgets.
Using these customized app icons and widgets, people have created some unique iPhone Home screens. Take a look.
— mcharo (@mcharo) September 22, 2020
how to do the aesthetic Home Screen (iOS 14) : a thread. pic.twitter.com/RObjIXcjbG
— 𝒥𝒶𝒦𝒶𝓎𝓁𝒶✨🎨 (@Kaylasfro) September 19, 2020
— gen ̖́ – @ ginkgo island ★彡 (@okpng) September 18, 2020
Current iOS 14 home screen setup. pic.twitter.com/gtFjRnMkq7
— Traf (@traf) September 20, 2020
- How to Use Back Tap on iPhone Running iOS 14
- Set Chrome as the Default Browser on iPhone
- Use YouTube in Picture in Picture Mode on iPhone and iPad