Spam text messages are a pain in the bottoms. With a lot of advancement, carriers are seemingly doing their best to minimize spam text messages but you still get those occasional messages that just sometimes derail your productivity or workflow or whatever.
Different carriers have different ways of combating spam and it's mostly done automatically. But just in case you are bothered often by spam text messages, you should probably check out every possible way to block spam text messages on your iPhone.
Now this whole blocking thing various from carrier to carrier and from country to country. We'll take on the three major carriers who've been selling iPhone on contract plans.
But before that, you should do this one:
Register your number with the National Do Not Call registry.
- Go to this site: https://www.donotcall.gov/register/reg.aspx
- Enter the details and press Submit
- Verify your email ID (they send you an email. Click the link in it.)
- This should help combat spam text messages.
1). AT&T: How to Block Spam Text Messages on AT&T iPhone
- Go to this URL: http://mymessages.wireless.att.com/
- Create a new account if you don't have one already. It appears that this account is different from your usual AT&T account.
- Once you've logged in, go to Preferences → Blocking Options
- Check all the boxes in Email Delivery Control
- And under Mobile Number Control, select Block from the drop-down.
- Click Submit to save the preferences.
This should effectively stop most spam text messages (that are sent via email) to your iPhone.
2). Verizon: How to Block Spam Text Messages on Verizon iPhone
- Go to this URL: http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/myverizonlp/
- Login if you're already registered; if not, create a new account with your phone number
- Go to Preferences → Text Messaging
- Now head over to Text Blocking and adjust the settings to block messages from email and web.
3). Sprint: How to Block Spam Text Messages on Sprint iPhone
Sprint is pretty straightforward. The spam blocking options are built right within the usual account page.
- Go to this URL: http://sprint.com
- Login using your account credentials
- Go to Text Messaging → Settings & Preferences
- Now Under Text Messaging Options disable email sending.
This should put a stop to spam messages on your Sprint iPhone.
4). T-Mobile: How to Block Spam Text Messages on T-Mobile iPhone
Now that T-Mobile has launched the iPhone 5 on its network and would be servicing iPhone customers, here's how to block spam messages on your T-Mobile account:
- Login to your account through this URL: https://my.t-mobile.com/login/default.aspx
- Head over to Power Messaging
- Look for and go into the Text Messaging section and you'll be guided to block spam text messages sent via email.
So that's how you can block spam text messages. If you find that you still get them, you can contact your carrier to have them particularly block an email/number that sends you spam. Networks like AT&T can specifically handle such requests and block particular emails/numbers from sending spam messages.
Compiled from inputs from: OS X Daily