Amazon got there first, yes, but Apple managed to nail it right with iBooks. Amidst some new email correspondences between Jobs and News Corp (that controls HarperCollins), we learn that Apple was specifically intent on making iBooks a revolutionary product not just for iOS but for the whole of eBook publishing industry.
So by now, you’re probably having a sizable collection of iBooks which you read. Or may be you’re just starting out with iBooks and your collection is growing with all the new books you found on the iBooks store.
One of the coolest features of iBooks is that you can read something on your iPhone 5 and then pick it up from where you left on the iPad. The sync feature of iBooks – which is usually enabled by default – works flawlessly.
But then, there are cases and instances where iBooks doesn’t sync. It just doesn’t work. So how do you fix that?
Here’s the basic stuff to make sure iBooks syncs across all your iOS devices:
- iBooks syncs via your Apple ID used in the App Store/iBooks store. It has no relation to iCloud so no matter what your iCloud sync is set up to, iBooks doesn’t play a part in it. So in order to make sure your iBooks are synced across all your iOS devices, you need to first make sure your iBooks account on iDevices has the same Apple ID logged in.
- You might have to make sure iBooks sync is enabled. Since the options aren’t available in iCloud settings, you have to go to: Settings -> iBooks
- Make sure that Sync Bookmarks and Sync Collections are turned ON.
With these settings, your iBooks should now sync. If in case it still doesn’t, reboot your iOS device where the sync isn’t working.
Alternatively, if for some reason iBooks still doesn’t sync, you might have to resort to iTunes. In this method:
- Connect your iDevice (where the iBook collection is downloaded) to iTunes.
- Sync the device with Books enabled for sync. This will get the book collections up on iTunes.
- Now, disconnect this iDevice and connect the one where you need the book collections. Sync again and the books should be transferred to the new iDevice.
Got any tip related to iBooks? Share it with us / in the comments below.