WhatsApp is the world’s most popular messaging app, with thousands of texts being transferred each minute. So, it’s no surprise that iPhone users may experience occasional crashing issues. However, some WhatsApp and WhatsApp Business users have reported this problem occurring frequently. So, if you are one of them, keep reading to find out the ways to fix WhatsApp crashing on your iPhone.
1. Check internet connectivity
Before we begin with anything too technical, it’s wise to clear up the most common obstacle – poor internet connectivity.
There is a high probability of internet crashes preventing your WhatsApp from connecting to its server. So, make sure you have a stable cellular data or Wi-Fi connection.
2. Check if the WhatsApp server is down
If WhatsApp is under maintenance, you might face a few issues in accessing the app. However, in this case, the company devises an announcement on any or every social media platform like Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. Hover through the above-mentioned mediums and look for any latest posts or announcements.
3. Update WhatsApp
Using an app without updating it for too long will obviously turn into a glitchy and uncontrollable one. Hence, it’s highly advised to regularly update WhatsApp.
- Open the App Store.
- Tap the profile icon → Scroll down to locate WhatsApp among installed applications.
Pro tip: To access the updates section, press the App Store icon on the Home Screen or in the App Library and select Updates.
- If there’s an update available, then tap the Update option.
- Upon completion, try to use WhatsApp again.
As a result, you will not miss out on new features and can keep on enjoying the experience like never before.
4. Update iOS version
There is a high chance that the app may not be affected at all, but the overall system is outdated. In this case, follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Launch the Settings app.
- Navigate to the General option→ Software Update.
Wait for the system to load and look for available updates.
- Tap Download and Install if there is an iOS update lined up.
- Enter the iPhone’s passcode when prompted.
- Now, tap Agree from the bottom-right corner and hit Agree to the Terms and Conditions.
- Finally, the update will be requested, and after a few minutes, your iPhone will be enabled with the latest version of iOS.
This procedure should cater to your issue, as the new updates tend to nullify existing bugs and errors.
5. Verify app configuration settings
If you’ve recently encountered an issue with WhatsApp not working on your iPhone, it could be because of denied app permissions. Fortunately, you can easily fix it by following some simple steps:
- Access the Settings app.
- Scroll down and select WhatsApp among the installed apps.
- Make sure that all of your app configuration settings, such as location, network, and message delivery preferences, are set to the desired options.
- Finally, restart WhatsApp to appeal the changes.
Once you’re done, you should be able to use WhatsApp on your iPhone without any issues.
6. Free up storage space on iPhone
The daily use of the iPhone can result in occupying the complete allocated storage, and it can slow down your device to a greater extent. However, you can take necessary precautions to prevent your iPhone’s RAM from piling up. This precaution will not only keep your apps like WhatsApp running but also improve your iPhone’s performance.
7. Uninstall and re-install the app
Removing the app from your iPhone can also act as a viable option if you don’t want to get too technical. To do so:
- Tap and hold WhatsApp until the Remove App (-) option appears.
- Hit Delete App→ Delete when prompted.
- Now, head to the App Store and search for WhatsApp from the Search bar.
- Select WhatsApp Messenger or WhatsApp Business as you desire.
- Press the Download option.
- Let the app install and set it up like you normally do.
8. Restart iPhone
Sometimes, a simple approach can go a long way. If all the above-mentioned techniques fail to assist you, then simply restart your iPhone.
- Hold down volume-up/volume-down with the power button until the power off slider appears.
- Swipe the slider from left to right to turn off your iPhone.
- Press and hold the power button to turn iPhone back on.
Doing so will reset any altered settings that might have been interfering with the app.
9. Reset iPhone
As a last resort, if anything doesn’t seem to work, you can always opt for completely formatting your iPhone and start from scratch. When the device is back on, set up the iPhone using your Apple ID and install WhatsApp or WhatsApp Business as per your preference. This step may be a tard too much, but it will definitely remove any bugs interrupting your experience.
10. Contact WhatsApp support
If the problem persists, it is time to contact WhatsApp customer support. They have the necessary tools and expertise to quickly diagnose the problem and provide a solution. Simply go to the WhatsApp website and navigate to their customer service page. You will find a communication box that you can use to directly contact their customer support team and get help.
Additional tips to avoid WhatsApp crashes on iPhone
WhatsApp can be a great tool for communicating with family and friends, but as it’s prone to crashing, it’s best to be prepared to tackle any technical issues you might face.
- If you’ve been using WhatsApp Business, make sure your account is properly set up. This includes verifying user permissions and access to app features.
- Regularly check for known issues or bugs with the app. You can visit the WhatsApp website for the latest updates.
- It’s also important to back up important conversations and data regularly. This will ensure that you don’t lose any critical information if something goes wrong.
In addition to these factors, I recommend the earlier-stated steps to help you out if WhatsApp keeps crashing on your iPhone.
WhatsApp may keep crashing on your iPhone due to various reasons, such as an outdated app or iOS version, poor internet connectivity, insufficient storage space, app configuration settings, and bugs in the app.
Yes, resetting your iPhone will delete all data on your iPhone, including WhatsApp chats and data. Therefore, make sure to back up all your important data before resetting your iPhone.
Regularly backing up WhatsApp data on iPhone can be very beneficial in a sudden system or application crash. Hence, have a look through our guide to grab the gist of the process.
Get your WhatsApp up and running!!
WhatsApp crashing on iPhone can be frustrating! Whether it occurs while you’re in the middle of a conversation or the WhatsApp Business just won’t open at all, it’s definitely an issue you’ll want to solve and fast. Following these steps should help get WhatsApp working on your iPhone. If you continue to experience any issues, don’t hesitate to reach out to WhatsApp customer support. They are always ready to help.
I hope you find this article insightful. Feel free to drop your concerns below.
- How to send photos as documents in WhatsApp on iPhone
- How to use WhatsApp on multiple devices with same number
- 25+ Cool WhatsApp Tips and Tricks for iPhone
- WhatsApp Status not showing on iPhone?
Readers like you help support iGeeksBlog. When you make a purchase using links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more.
Yash is a driven individual with a passion for technology and its impact on our world. His aim is to educate and inform others about the newest advancements in technology and how they can benefit society. In consonance, he is deeply indulged in anime and Marvel Cinematic Universe, if not writing.