Some nagging bugs crept into Snapchat after the June 28 update of the app to version 126.96.36.199. So chances are your Snapchat might keep closing or crashing when launching it if you last updated the app in June this year. That may not be the problem in your case, though.
But these fixes should solve the crashing issue with Snapchat on iPhone! Let me guide you through them.
- Update your Snapchat version
- Force stop and reopen Snapchat
- Clear Snapchat cache
- Deactivate your VPNs
- Delete and Re-install Snapchat
- Check Snapchat’s server status
1. Update your Snapchat version
If you’ve not updated your Snapchat in a long time, it’s time you do. Although there was a bug in the June 28 version 188.8.131.52, Snapchat has received well over 15 updates since that buggy version, with the latest version 184.108.40.206 surfacing on September 21. So this bug has been fixed along with recent updates.
To update Snapchat on your iPhone running iOS 13 and later:
- Go to the App Store.
- Type Snapchat in the search icon.
Alternatively, tap your picture at the top right to view outdated apps.
- Select Snapchat from the results.
- Tap Update below Snapchat.
Note: If you don’t see the option, your app is updated.
To update Snapchat on iOS 12 and earlier:
- Open the App Store.
- Tap your profile icon at the top.
- Scroll through the options and look for Snapchat.
- Tap Update next to Snapchat.
If your Snapchat still crashes or doesn’t work after updating it, move on to other fixes.
Note: You might also want to update your iOS to the latest version. There may be bugs causing this issue. Apple ensures to fix bugs with its software update.
2. Force stop and reopen Snapchat
- Open the App Switcher
- On iPhones with Touch ID, double-tap the Home button.
- On iPhones with Face ID, swipe up from the Home Screen.
- From the apps that come up, swipe close Snapchat.
- Now, tap Snapchat in the App Library to reopen it.
If it still fails to work, restarting your device might also help. If it doesn’t, move on to the next fix.
3. Clear Snapchat cache
Cache from previous versions of the app might weigh it down sometimes. So, clearing it might fix the problem, especially if the app crashes mid-operation. Here’s how to do it:
- Open Snapchat on your device.
- Tap your Profile icon at the top left.
- Select the Settings icon at the top right.
- Scroll down and tap Clear Cache under ACCOUNT ACTIONS.
- Select Clear.
4. Deactivate your VPNs
VPN services sometimes work against certain apps due to IP fluctuation. If your VPN is still active, Snapchat might keep closing or fail to work at all.
Therefore, ensuring that you deactivate all VPN services while using Snapchat might work.
5. Delete and Re-install Snapchat
Sometimes, the easiest solution fixes the issue. Hence, uninstalling and installing Snapchat again might get the job done. Although it’s easy to do it, follow the below steps if you have any doubts:
- Long-press Snapchat.
- Select Remove App.
- Now, go to the App store.
- Search for Snapchat and install it again.
6. Check Snapchat’s server status
The crashing problem may sometimes arise due to general server issues on Snapchat’s end. If that’s the case, none of the above fixes will help. You’ll have to wait till Snapchat resolves the issue.
To check if Snapchat’s down, visit Downdetector.com. This is one of the most reliable sites to check the server status of apps.
I hope the above fixes helped fix the Snapchat crashing issue on your iPhone. Have any queries? Share them in the comments below.