We recently wrote on changing the SIM pin to secure your iPhone when you restart it or move the SIM to another device. SIM lock prevents voice and data usage, but they also come with trouble if you ever forget the PIN. If you enter the wrong PIN three times, you’ll be locked out of your own device; no voice no data, nothing.
If you ever find yourself in such a situation, you may refer to the guide given here. The thing to note here is that there is no way you can unlock your locked SIM without the help of your operator. And it is in no way recommended to try without consulting your network operator.
When your SIM is locked, it will ask for a PUK code. If you think you can Google the PUK code of your operator, let me tell you it is a terrible idea. Entering the wrong PUK code 10 times will permanently lock your SIM. The only option then is to go to the network operator and get a brand new SIM card for your iPhone.
SIM Locked on iPhone: How to Get PUK Code to Unlock a SIM Card
- The easiest way is to call your network provider and explain the issue. They will instantly share the PUK code for your SIM card
- You can also get in touch with your network provider through the Live Chat option on their website. This option is more advisable, as you are locked out of your SIM and calling is disabled
- Lengthy way to get PUK code is to email your network provider and ask for assistance. This may take time as the support staff will not reply to your query instantly. But this can certainly help if you are at a remote location where calling or live chat isn’t a feasible option
Once you have the PUK code for your SIM card, make sure you enter it correctly. It is an 8-digit code; entering it wrong 10 times will lock your SIM card permanently and the only option is to get it replaced from your service provider.
If you backed out of the PUK code screen, you could go back to it by going to Settings → Mobile Data and enter the PUK code you received from the network operator.
Locking SIM card with PIN is a great feature, but at the time same it comes with the responsibility of remembering it. If you forget it, this security feature can give you nightmares. It literally disconnects you from the world and can take hours to get things to normal.
You may want to explore:
- “Your SIM Played a Tone” Flash Message from iPhone: How to Fix
- How to Unlock iPhone with Apple Watch when Wearing a Mask
- SIM not Supported on iPhone? 5 Fixes
- How to activate and use eSIM on iPhone: A detailed guide
Have you ever locked yourself out because you forgot the SIM PIN? Share your experience with us in comments.
Readers like you help support iGeeksBlog. When you make a purchase using links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more.
Jignesh Padhiyar is the co-founder of iGeeksBlog.com, who has a keen eye for news, rumors, and all the unusual stuff around Apple products. During his tight schedule, Jignesh finds some moments of respite to share side-splitting content on social media.