Workout detection in watchOS 5 is an excellent update Apple brought to its Apple Watch. Now it is easier for any user to track its workout or exercise routines even as they forget to start workout manually on the watch. This feature is turned on by default on your Apple Watch running watchOS 5. Want to use Workout Detection on Apple Watch? Read on to know more.
In case you want to turn off this workout detection, you can do it directly on your Apple Watch or the paired iPhone. At the end of this tutorial, you will also find a list of exercise routines compatible with auto-workout detection. For now, let’s explore how you can use auto-workout detection on your Apple Watch.
How to Use Auto-Workout Detection on Apple Watch Running watchOS 5
Before we use workout detection, let’s understand what this feature does.
As the name suggests, auto-workout detection notices your activity. When you set yourself in motion (doing exercise routines) and forget to turn on workout app, your Apple Watch sends you an alert on the watch face. This notification reads: It looks like you’re working out.
- You can tap on this notification and start tracking your workout.
- You can also change workout type, mute notifications for the day, or dismiss the information.
- Similarly, this workout detection also notices if you have stopped your exercise routine.
- After a long run or walk, you may forget to stop the workout app on your watch. When it finds you inactive, the workout detection sends you a notification to end your workout routine, change the type of workout, mute notification for the day, or dismiss the information.
List of Auto-Workout Detection Exercises/Activities
- Indoor Walk
- Outdoor Walk
- Indoor Run
- Outdoor Run
- Pool Swim
- Open Water Swim
How to Disable Auto-Workout Detection on your Apple Watch
In case you don’t wish to use auto-workout detection before or after your exercise routine, you can turn off workout detection from your Apple Watch itself.
Step #1. Press the Digital Crown on your Apple Watch → From the grid or list of apps, tap on Settings.
Step #2. Scroll down and tap General → Next, tap on Workout.
Step #3. Now, turn off Start Workout Reminder and End Workout Reminder toggles.
You can use this feature when you take a long break from the workout because of illness or vacation. Once back to exercise routine, you can turn on the above buttons to enable this auto-workout detection feature.
How to Turn Off Auto-Workout Detection from iPhone
When your iPhone is handy and your watch is on the charging dock, you can disable auto-workout detection feature using your iPhone.
Step #1. Launch Watch app on your iPhone → Now tap on My Watch icon from the bottom menu → Scroll down and tap on Workout.
Step #2. Turn off Start Workout Reminder and End Workout Reminder buttons.
So, what’s your workout routine?
For people, who take their fitness seriously, this feature is handy. I prefer to start my evening walk by manually tapping on Workout app as I sincerely track my fitness regimen. But then I may forget to launch the app; in this situation, auto-workout detection can quickly notify me to use the app.
You may also like to refer:
- How to Quit Apps on Apple Watch
- Best Alarm Apps for Apple Watch
- How to Enable Low Heart Rate Notifications on Apple Watch
- How to Enable Fall Detection on Apple Watch Series 4