Tethering is a convenient feature that allows you to share the internet connection of one device with another. If you need to use the internet on your Mac or PC but don’t have Wi-Fi access, you can tether your iPhone to Mac or PC using a Lightning cable. This will allow you to share your iPhone’s internet with your Mac. Follow this step-by-step guide to connect quickly and easily.
Pre-requisites for tethering iPhone to Mac:
- A Lightning cable.
- Your iPhone must be connected to a cellular network and have an active data plan.
- Benefits of tethering iPhone to Mac and PC
- How to share internet from iPhone to Mac via USB cable
- How to tether iPhone to PC via USB
- Share iPhone’s internet with Mac via Wi-Fi
Benefits of tethering iPhone to Mac and PC
- It enables you to connect both devices with ease.
- Transfer your photos, music, apps, and other items.
- Use your iPhone’s Internet connection directly on your computer.
Note: Before starting the tethering process, ensure that your devices are updated with the latest software and patches.
- Connect iPhone to Mac using a Lightning cable.
- On your iPhone, tap Trust when prompted on the Trust This Computer pop-up.
- If your device is passcode protected, then enter the passcode of your device.
- Launch the Settings app on your iPhone → select Personal Hotspot.
- Toggle on Allow Others to Join.
- On your Mac, click the Apple logo () → select System Settings.
On macOS Monterey or earlier, you’ll see System Preferences.
- Navigate to Network → select your iPhone.
- If there is a yellow dot under your device, turn off your Wi-Fi.
- The status of the device should display Connected with a green dot.
Voila, your Mac is now connected to the internet!
How to tether iPhone to PC via USB
Tethering an iPhone to a Windows PC is easy. However, before you get started, make sure you have a USB-C to Lightning cable, an iPhone with an active internet connection, and a Windows PC.
- Use the USB cable to connect your iPhone to a PC.
- On your iPhone, open Settings app → Personal Hotspot.
- Toggle on Personal Hotspot.
- On your PC, open the Control Panel → select Network and Internet.
- Navigate to the Change adapters options menu → select your iPhone from the list.
You should then be connected to your iPhone’s internet connection, allowing you to surf the web, access data, and sync files between your PC and your iPhone.
If you don’t want to use USB tethering or are not able to follow the methods mentioned above. Depending on the situation, you can follow an alternate method to share your iPhone’s internet with your Mac.
Before sharing the internet from your iPhone with your Mac using a personal hotspot, you must configure the hotspot settings in your iPhone. Then follow one of these two methods on your Mac:
- From the menu bar, click the Wi-Fi icon → select your preferred network → enter the password if asked.
- On Mac, click the Apple logo () → go to System Settings
- Tap Network → select Wi-Fi → toggle on Wi-Fi → select your preferred network → enter the password if asked.
Now, your Mac is connected to the internet.
Apart from degrading the battery of your iPhone at a slightly faster rate, your device is not prone to any kind of damage altogether.
If you face any issues while tethering your iPhone to your Mac, try restarting your device or refreshing your internet connection. If the problem still persists, manually change your iPhone’s privacy and security settings. Once you come through these solutions, you should be good to go.
Easy, isn’t it?
The technique of tethering your iPhone to your Mac is easy and uncomplicated. You can utilize your iPhone’s cellular plan to connect your Mac to the internet even when you don’t have a Wi-Fi connection, whether you opt to tether using USB or Personal Hotspot.
There are two different ways to tether your iPhone to your Mac, but the one that works best for you may vary. If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions about this guide, please don’t hesitate to leave them below.