Facebook’s profile lock feature adds a security layer and protects your photos, stories, and posts from everyone who is not on your friend list. In short, it gives you more control and privacy from strangers.
Initially, it was launched for women’s safety on the platform; but regardless of gender, you can now use this feature to lock your Facebook profile using its app or website. Let me tell you more and show you how to do it on iPhone, iPad, and desktop.
- What happens when you lock your profile on Facebook?
- How do I lock my Facebook profile on iPhone using the app?
- How to lock your Facebook profile on the web browser
- What to do if locking the Facebook profile is not available for you?
What happens when you lock your profile on Facebook?
After you lock your profile, here is what happens;
- Only your Facebook friends can see your photos, posts, stories, profile picture, and cover photos.
- All your old Facebook posts that were public will automatically change to friends-only view.
- You can’t make new posts with ‘Public view’ as its setting.
- It will automatically enable two privacy features, namely – Timeline review and Tag review.
- Only a limited part of the about info will be public. To be precise, ‘people who are not your Facebook friends will see a maximum of five profile details.’
Note: Currently, this feature is not available in all countries.
How do I lock my Facebook profile on iPhone using the app?
- Open the Facebook app on your iPhone and go to your profile.
- Tap the three dots icon next to +Add Story.
- Tap Lock Profile.
- Read the short description that tells you what this feature is. Finally, tap Lock Your Profile.
Note: If you do not see this option, please update the Facebook app. I also noticed that if you have zero Facebook friends, you might not see this option. Finally, you may also follow the above steps on your iPhone via browsers like Safari or Chrome.
How to lock your Facebook profile on a web browser
You can use this method on both your iPhone and desktop. I have used the desktop to demo it.
- Go to your Facebook profile using Chrome, Safari, Firefox, or any other browser.
- In the URL address bar, replace www with m and hit the enter key.
You are now in the mobile version of Facebook on your computer.
- Click the three dots next to Edit Profile.
- Click Lock Profile.
- Read the info and click Lock your profile.
What to do if locking the Facebook profile is not available for you?
As mentioned above, the feature is not available in all countries. Thus, if you can’t find this option, the feature isn’t available in your region. However, you still have multiple tools to protect your privacy.
See and tweak Facebook’s privacy settings on your iPhone by following the steps below.
- Open the Facebook app and tap the three lines icon at the bottom right.
- Scroll down and tap Settings & Privacy.
- Tap Settings → Privacy settings.
- From here, you can change them as desired.
- Note: In step 3, you may also tap Privacy shortcuts to see several options.
What are your thoughts on this? Let me know in the comments below.
Other related posts:
- How to change iPhone privacy and security settings
- Change your name on Facebook
- How to find recently viewed ads on Facebook and Instagram
- How to hide likes on Facebook
I have been an Apple user for over seven years now. At iGeeksBlog, I love creating how-tos and troubleshooting guides that help people do more with their iPhone, iPad, Mac, AirPods, and Apple Watch. In my free time, I like to watch stand up comedy videos, tech documentaries, news debates, and political speeches.