Frequently we come across interesting, funny, informative videos on Facebook. We wish to save them offline for later viewing or share them outside Facebook with friends and family using other chat apps. To do so, you need to download the video. But just like Twitter, Facebook also does not offer a straightforward solution. Thus we have to rely on other methods to download videos from Facebook on the iPhone, iPad, Android, and Computer. Let me guide you step-by-step.
- How to Download Facebook Videos to iPhone Camera Roll
- How to Download Facebook Videos on Android
- How to Download Video From Facebook to Computer (Mac, PC)
How to Download Facebook Videos to iPhone Camera Roll
I. Using Shortcuts
Before You Begin: Make sure you are allowed to add untrusted shortcuts. For this, open the Settings app → Shortcuts → turn on the toggle for Allow Untrusted Shortcuts.
- Get Social Media Downloader shortcut. For this, tap on the link you see here. It will ask to open in the Shortcuts app. Tap on Open.
- Scroll to the bottom of the Add Shortcut screen and tap on Add Untrusted Shortcut.
- Open Facebook and locate the video. Make sure it is a public video. If the video is from a private group, etc. you may not be able to download it.
- Now we have to copy the post link that has the video. For this, tap on the Share icon and tap Copy Link. Or, after tapping on the Share icon, tap on More Options… → Copy.
- Next, open the Shortcuts app. Tap on My Shortcuts. After this, tap on Social Media Downloader. (Tip: See how to add Shortcuts to the iPhone Home Screen. This will eliminate the first two steps; helpful if you plan to download several videos.)
- Tap on OK from the popup. Choose Facebook.
- Choose HD (high definition) or SD (standard definition). If the shortcut asks for permissions, tap OK to grant it.
- Once the video downloads, you will get a notification. Open the Photos app to find the saved video.
- From the Share Sheet in step 4, you may also scroll down and tap on Social Media Downloader and follow the next steps. (Though sometimes it shows an error.)
- Not all Facebook videos seem to download using this shortcut. At times, you may see an error.
II. Using MyMedia File Manager
- Download My Media – File Manager from the App Store. It is free.
- Launch the app and use the address bar/Google search bar to open fbdown.net
- Open the Facebook app (or from a browser), copy the post link. For this, tap on the Share icon and choose More Options. After that, tap on Copy.
- Once again, open the My Media – File Manager app and paste the video URL in the box at fbdown.net. Next, tap on Download.
- Tap on More Options. Choose Force Download SD or Force Download HD.
- Tap on Download the file. Enter any desired file name and tap on Save.
- After the download completes, tap on Back from the upper-right. Next, tap on Media from the bottom row. You will find the downloaded video there. Tap on the video name and choose Save to Camera Roll. You may also tap on Open in Other Apps or Export File to share them directly using the Share Sheet.
Save Facebook Video
When you tap on the three dots icon from the top-right of a video post, you get an option to Save video.
This is different than downloading offline. Save video is almost like bookmarking a video so that you can watch it later. To find all your saved videos tap on the hamburger icon in the lower-right of the Facebook app and then tap on Saved.
How to Download Facebook Videos on Android
Using Video Downloader for Facebook
- Install Video Downloader for Facebook from the Play Store for free.
- Open the Facebook app on your Android phone and visit the video post. Tap on the Share button. Scroll horizontally and tap on More. Or, tap on More Options…
- Tap on FB Downloader. The download will begin immediately.
- From here, you can share the video directly by tapping the Share icon. The video is also saved to your Gallery (Photos app) if access permission was given.
Note: If you use Facebook in a browser, you may copy the video post link, open the Video Downloader app, tap on the Facebook tab from the bottom-left, paste the post URL, and finally tap on Paste and download.
Download Video Inside the Facebook App
The FB app for Android also has a feature to download video offline in the app. For this, tap on the more (three dots icon) from the top-left of a video post. Next, tap on Download.
The video will get saved locally. You can not save it to the phone gallery or share directly to other chat apps. But you can watch the video without the internet later. To do so, tap on the hamburger icon (three lines icon) from the top-right. Next, tap on Saved.
Note: All videos do not have the offline download option.
How to Download Video From Facebook to Computer (Mac, PC)
I. Using Third-Party Websites
For the steps below, I have used Google Chrome. For other browsers, too, the steps and save options are almost the same.
- Copy the post link on Facebook. For this, click on the Share button and then click on Copy Link.
- Open fbdownloader.net (or any other similar site from Google search). Paste the copied link and hit the enter key.
- Depending on the video, click on Download SD Quality or Download HD Quality. The video will open in a new tab. Right-click and choose Save Video as… Finally, click on Save.
Note: In step 3, if an advertisement opens in the new tab, close it, go back and click on Download SD Quality or Download HD Quality again.
II. Using Chrome Extension
2. Open Facebook. If it was already open, refresh the page. Make sure you copy the post link so that the video does not disappear from your Home feed.
3. Hover the mouse pointer over a video. You will see a Download button in the upper-right of the video. Click on it. The download will begin almost instantly.
This is how you can download Facebook videos on mobile and PC. I hope this step-by-step guide was helpful.
You may like to read some more related posts that we have covered.
- How to Use Facebook Messenger Rooms on iPhone, iPad, and Mac
- How to Turn ON Facebook Dark Mode on Desktop
- Steps to Know Who Viewed Your Facebook
- “Most Recent” Option in Updated Facebook iPhone App