Sometimes you come across a video on Twitter that you need to save to your camera roll. While the official Twitter app and website make it easy to save images, there’s no official way to download videos locally. Well, luckily, there’s a workaround!
Here are the easiest ways to download Twitter videos on iPhone and Android.
3 Easiest ways to download Twitter videos on iPhone
1. Using a third-party website
- Copy the tweet link: Open Twitter → tap the Share icon below the tweet → tap Copy Link. You can also do the same thing from a browser.
- Visit DownloadTwitterVideo.com on your iPhone or iPad.
- Paste the URL here and tap Download MP4.
Most likely, it will open an ad in a new tab. Close this tab.
- Tap Right click here and choose ‘Save link as…’
- Tap Download.
- You can check the status by tapping the download button in the top right. Once the download completes, tap the video.
- Next, tap the Share icon to send this video to friends via other apps.
- Or, tap Save Video to save it to your Photos.
Note: You can also use apps like Documents by Readdle and other Twitter Video Download websites. But since the above website and Safari do the job, there’s usually no need to download a third-party app. To download Twitter videos on the computer, you can use the same website mentioned above.
2. Using a shortcut
The above method is straightforward. However, due to ads (and sometimes server failure), you might want to look for an alternative solution. Here’s an excellent option that is quick, ad-free, and doesn’t require copying a link. Instead, it involves adding a third-party shortcut to your iPhone.
Follow the below steps to download Twitter videos on your iPhone using the shortcut.
- Visit tvdl.app using Safari and tap Get the Shortcut.
- Tap Add Untrusted Shortcut.
- Open Twitter and tap the Share icon below a video tweet.
- Tap Share via…
- Tap TVDL v3.1 (This number may be different for you.)
- When the notification appears, tap OK.
- Choose your desired video quality and tap OK.
- Allow the shortcut to access Photos so that it can save the video locally. And you’re done!
Note: You only have to follow steps 6 through 8 for the first go around.
3. iOS quick fix: screen record the Tweet
If you just want to send a meme to a friend who doesn’t have twitter and you’re not concerned with the highest possible video quality, give Screen Recording a try.
Check out our full guide explaining how to screen record on iPhone and iPad for more information on setup and usage. Once you’re able to use iOS Screen Recording, just record the video Tweet and it’ll save to your Photos.
From here, share it to your friends as you would any other video.
How to download Twitter videos on Android
You can download Twitter videos on Android using a web-based method similar to iPhone. Alternatively, you can also install a third-party application from the Google Play Store specially designed for this purpose.
We’ve detailed the second method because it gets the job done nice and simple. To get started, follow the below steps:
- Install Download Twitter Videos for free from the Play Store.
- Open Twitter and visit the video Tweet you want to save.
- Tap the tiny Share icon → Share Tweet via… → Choose Download Twitter.
- Grant the necessary access permissions, if prompted. Choose a video quality (HD = high definition, which is the best video quality. SD = standard definition.) If the video starts playing, tap the Back button.
- The download will begin immediately. You can check the file in your Photo Gallery.
You can also tap the Share icon here and send it directly to various chat apps.
If you use Twitter through a browser instead of the app, here’s how you can download the video:
- Open the Twitter video in the browser.
- Tap the Share icon → Tap Copy link to Tweet.
- Open the Download Twitter Videos app and paste the link there.
- Tap the Download icon at the lower-right. Next, choose the video quality, and the download will begin immediately.
We hope you now know how to download Twitter videos on your iPhone and Android effortlessly. Which method suits your needs the best? Let us know in the comments below.
If you have any other iOS shortcuts to download Twitter videos, share them in the comments below. Also, if you have any Apple-related questions, we’d love to hear them.
Other helpful Twitter-related posts: