A contact group comes in handy when you want to send the same message to multiple contacts every time, especially if it’s a party invite or trip discussion. While iOS doesn’t allow to create a contact group directly, you can do so via iCloud or third-party applications, which are as easy as pie.
Moreover, the people in your group can reach you even if your iPhone is in the “Do not disturb” mode. In this how-to guide, I have covered everything you need to know to create a contact group on your iPhone.
- How to make contact groups on iPhone using iCloud
- How to create a contact group on iPhone using Groups app
Note: You must enable contact sync in iCloud. To check and do so, open Settings → tap your profile → go to iCloud → toggle on Contacts.
How to make contact groups on iPhone using iCloud
- Visit iCloud.Com on your Mac and sign in with your Apple ID.
- Next, select Contacts and tap on the “+” icon at the bottom left corner.
- Select the new group option.
- Next, name the group, and you’re ready.
Note: This process requires a strong internet connection.
Once you create the group, you can add all the contacts you want in that particular group. All you have to do is drag the contact from ‘All Contacts‘ and drop it in the new group you made.
You can delete the group or a specific contact easily. Here’s how;
Delete group or contact from iCloud
- Select the group or contact you wish to delete.
- Tap the Actions menu in the bottom left corner and select Delete from the menu.
- A menu will pop-up on your screen. Tap Delete to confirm the action.
Tip: You can also delete by selecting a particular contact or the contact group and clicking on the delete button from your Mac’s keyboard.
Use contact groups on the iPhone
- Check the group you made in the Phone app on iPhone
- Launch the Phone app on your iPhone and go to Contacts.
- Now, tap groups in the upper right corner.
- You will be able to see all the groups you created.
Note: iPhone’s messaging app doesn’t support groups. You can send a message to the group via email.
- Use it in the Mail app
Send an email to each person in the group in one go.
- Open the Mail app on your iPhone and create a new email.
- In the “To” section, type the group’s name. You will see the name of the group as a suggestion.
- Select that group, type the message, and hit send. The message will be delivered to everyone in the group via email.
Note: It is crucial to have the person’s email ID saved in his/her contact details. Otherwise, you can’t send an email to that person even if you have added him/her to the group.
- Use it for Do Not Disturb Mode on your iPhone
- Launch Settings and go to the ‘Do not disturb’ option.
- Here, you will see the contact groups you created in iCloud.
- Tap ‘Allow Calls From‘ and select the contact group.
Besides iCloud, you can also use third-party applications to create a contact group on the iPhone easily. One best app that comes to mind is Groups. It is available on the App Store for free (with in-app purchases).
How to create a contact group on iPhone using Groups app
- Open the Groups app on your iPhone.
- Tap ‘Add New Label’ to create a new group.
- Visit the New Group page and name your contact group.
- Tap ‘No Contacts — Add Some’ to start adding contacts.
Note – You can add or remove contacts by selecting ‘Manage‘ at the top right corner.
- Tap Done.
You can also add new contacts directly using this app.
Now, plan your party or trip with less stress. While I usually stick to iCloud for creating contact groups, third-party apps come in handy if you have don’t have Mac at your disposal.
If you are new to Apple, here are the articles you should look at to use your iPhone and iCloud more efficiently.