When Apple removed the iCloud Activation Lock Status page in January 2017, it didn’t come as a surprise to me. It was done for security purposes to prevent hacking that takes advantage of the stolen serial number.
With that web tool, anyone could quickly check out the icloud Activation Lock status. It’s believed that hackers would use this web tool to reactivate bricked iPhones. They would enter an iPhone’s IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identity) on the iCloud Activation Lock web page to change the serial number stored on the device and bypass Activation Lock.
Potential buyers or owners can still check out the iPhone Activation Lock status online. Let’s find out how it works!
How to check iPhone Activation Lock status via Apple Support pages
Note: This trick may not work for all users, everywhere. Apple may soon fix this loophole that allows checking the Activation Lock status.
- Launch any web browser on your iOS device or computer and go to the Apple Support webpage.
- Next, you need to select iPhone from the available list of devices.
- Now, click on any search category which is related to hardware. For instance, Repairs & Physical Damage or Battery, Power & Charging. Then, you need to choose a particular problem such as Display is cracked, Screen or display quality.
- Next up, you have to click on Bring in for repair.
- Now, enter your iPhone’s serial number, IMEI or MEID in order to check its Activation Lock status.
Just in case Find My iPhone and Activation Lock is enabled on your iOS device, you will get a message reading “Sorry but we can’t create a repair while Find my iPhone is active.”
Try to select other device problems if you aren’t able to check the Activation Lock status of your device.
You may want to read:
- How to contact Apple Support: Get help for your Apple device
- Enable Apple AirTag’s hidden developer mode on iPhone
Readers like you help support iGeeksBlog. When you make a purchase using links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read Disclaimer.