The Apple Watch stands out as one of the top choices for monitoring your daily activities. However, it requires periodic charging. But what if your Apple Watch is connected to a power source but not charging? If you’ve encountered this problem, don’t worry. In this blog, I’ll provide you with some solutions to fix the issue of your Apple Watch not charging. By the end of this read, you’ll be able to revive your favorite wearable and have it working perfectly again.
- Make sure you’re using the original Apple Watch charger
- Check the charging cable for damages
- Remove your Apple Watch’s protective case
- Clean charging contact points
- Plug in the adapter properly
- Clean the back of your Apple Watch
- Try a different Apple Watch charger and cable
- Let your Apple Watch cool down
- Restart or hard reset your Apple Watch
- Erase your Apple Watch and set up again
1. Make sure you’re using the original Apple Watch charger
But before we indulge in anything too technical, it’s wise to get the basics right.
Remember to always charge your Apple Watch with an original adapter and cable.
Third-party chargers may be affordable and easy to attain, but they might not be compatible with or provide optimal charging for your Apple Watch.
Those who have been using an Apple charger can directly move on to the next solution.
2. Check the charging cable for damages
If your Apple Watch won’t charge, it’s always a good idea to look for signs of damage on the charging cable. A damaged cable can prevent power transfer from the source to the Apple Watch, resulting in charging issues.
- Simply examine both ends of the cable and look for visible damage, such as frayed wires or broken connectors.
- While you’re at it, ensure that the connector of your cable is not bent or misaligned. If there is damage detected, replace your cable as soon as possible.
3. Remove your Apple Watch’s protective case
While protective cases offer defense against scratches and impact, they can sometimes interfere with the magnetic connection required for charging.
So, to be sure, simply remove the case and clean your Apple Watch with a dry cloth. Gently clean your device, making sure that no debris or dirt particles are remaining on the watch or charger.
Then, try charging your Apple Watch again. If this solution proves to be effective, try getting a better protective case for your Apple Watch.
4. Clean charging contact points
Sometimes, charging issues have nothing to do with the device’s functionality. Over time, dirt, dust, or debris can accumulate on the charging point and hinder its ability to establish a proper connection with the watch.
But don’t worry, as you can tackle this problem easily.
- To begin, disconnect your charger from the socket and turn off the switch.
- Wipe off any visible dirt or particles using a soft cloth or cotton swab dipped in rubbing alcohol.
- Take care not to apply excessive pressure as it may damage the delicate components.
- After ensuring that both the charger and Apple Watch are thoroughly dry, reconnect them and attempt to charge again.
Cleaning the charging points can help fix problems with your Apple Watch not charging properly.
5. Plug in the adapter properly
Make sure to plug in the adapter to a functional port. It may seem like a trivial solution, but it often does the trick.
Make sure the pins are inserted firmly into the respective ports. If you are struggling to connect the adapter to the socket, check for any dirt or debris that may be blocking a proper connection.
Remember, a proper charge requires an uninterrupted flow of electricity, so taking these steps can help resolve the issue and get your Apple Watch back up and running efficiently.
6. Clean the back of your Apple Watch
If you actively use your Apple Watch, dust, sweat, and other particles can likely build up on the charging magnets located at the back of the watch. With passing time, this can cause interference between the charger and the Apple Watch.
The only solution to this problem is to clean your watch regularly. Always keep a lint-free cloth ready to go if your Apple Watch does not charge properly.
Also, remember not to use any sharp objects or excessive force during cleaning.
Once cleaned, simply plug your device back in for charging and see if your watch is charging optimally.
7. Try a different Apple Watch charger and cable
If none of the above solutions have worked for you, you must consider trying out a new Apple Watch charger and cable. Sometimes, the issue lies with a faulty charger or cable.
By switching to another charger and cable, you can determine if the problem is with the charging equipment or the Watch.
While purchasing new Apple Watch accessories, ensure that they are MFi-certified, as third-party accessories may not be reliable. By taking these troubleshooting steps, you increase your chances of successfully resolving the charging issue on your Apple Watch.
8. Let your Apple Watch cool down
Often, when users tend to leave their devices to charge overnight, they start acting out. Simply put, such events cause the device to overheat, which then hinders the performance of the Apple Watch.
If this verifies your situation, just leave your Apple Watch alone for a while and let it cool down. Remove the Apple Watch from its charger and disconnect it from any power sources. If possible, place the watch in a cooler environment with proper ventilation.
9. Restart or hard reset your Apple Watch
By far, we’ve covered solutions focused on the condition of your Apple Watch. However, if everything seems fine, the problem must lie in the device. To rectify such software-based issues, I present two effective resolves:
- The first troubleshooting step you can try is restarting your device. Restarting the Apple Watch can resolve various software glitches and temporarily fix charging problems.
- To restart your Apple Watch, press and hold down the side button until the sliders appear → Drag the Power off slider towards the right to switch off your watch.
- Another alternative is to perform a hard reset. This resolve focuses on refreshing every app currently running on your device.
- To hard reset your Apple Watch, press and hold the side button and the Digital Crown for 10 seconds until the Apple logo appears on the screen.
It’s important to note that these two procedures will not erase any of your settings or data; they simply reboot the device.
10. Erase your Apple Watch and set up again
If you’re still facing the issue of the Apple Watch not charging, maybe you should consider starting from scratch. Erasing your Apple Watch will allow you to help resolve any software glitches or conflicts that might be preventing your watch from charging properly. To comply:
- To erase the Apple Watch, press the Digital Crown to see all the apps.
- From here, tap the Settings app icon → General → Reset.
- Now, tap Erase All Content and Settings → Erase All.
- Enter the watch passcode and confirm.
Once your watch is successfully formatted, you will have to pair (set up) your Apple Watch again.
Confirm your selection and proceed with setting up the Apple Watch as new. Although this solution may seem drastic, it has proven successful for some users in addressing charging issues. Before you proceed, make sure to back up your data so you don’t lose your important files in the process.
Contact Apple Support
Finally, if none of these troubleshooting steps work, it is advisable to reach out to Apple support for further assistance. Their team of experts will be able to diagnose the issue accurately and guide you toward a suitable resolution for your Apple Watch not charging issue. They can provide more tailored assistance based on your specific situation.
Keep your Apple Watch ticking!
There you have it! This guide will allow you to reignite the spark in your Apple Watch charging routine. Whether it’s a connection glitch, a software hiccup, or a simple reset, I’ve got you covered. Bid farewell to charging hiccups and say hello to an uninterrupted Apple Watch experience. Stay charged, stay connected, and embrace the full potential of your wrist tech.
Thank you for reading. I hope you’ve found this article helpful. Please take a moment to share your thoughts in the comment section below.
- Can’t answer calls from Apple Watch? Easy ways to fix it!
- Apple Watch double tap gesture not working? How to fix it!
- How to delete Apple Watch backups from iPhone
- How to turn off Optimized Battery Charging on Apple Watch
Readers like you help support iGeeksBlog. When you make a purchase using links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read Disclaimer.