Telemarketing and spam calls take a toll. Half the time, the number you see on the caller’s identity is unknown, out of your address book and you can’t avoid picking up the call because of that. With all the technology and number of companies exploiting the telecom opportunity to reach several million cellphone users, spam calls continue to rise exponentially.
But with iPhone apps like TrueCaller, you can block them all and let things manage themselves.
TrueCaller is one of the first apps (cross-platform) which had one of the largest aims: to identify almost all the calls you get on your iPhone (or any other smartphone) even if the number isn’t on your address book. That was the massive task they set out to carry out and after several months and three years, TrueCaller has turned out to be the best call identification service you can ever get.
The Database Backbone
TrueCaller’s real power lies in its database. A mammoth database of several billion numbers identified and rated according to what they are. Over time, the list has grown to include almost every known and unknown spam and marketing callers who pester cell phone users throughout the day.
The real essence of TrueCaller’s prowess lies in this database. I do have some reservations though as TrueCaller (upon being given permission to access your contacts for updating information) can easily hook the contact information to its database. In fact, that’s how you find that even without my knowledge, my number would be up on their database because a friend of mine installed and uses TrueCaller.
It’s for the Greater Good
However, that’s for the greater good, though.
- TrueCaller alerts you when you receive a call.
- Effectively, if you can configure the Call Filter to include calls you want to avoid from people/numbers.
- TrueCaller can even prevent call alerts, but unfortunately, the current iOS framework doesn’t let TrueCaller interact upon calls. You are only notified of who’s calling you so you can decide to pick or miss the call.
- TrueCaller works on a reverse phone lookup. Due to this, it has been banned in Great Britain where the reverse lookup isn’t legal yet.
- TrueCaller usually pulls data from public directories, but it also relies heavily on data collected from users who report spam calls. This gets into their database and enhances the accuracy and expanse.
Perfect protection against spam calls
With a large, international database, which also focuses on country-specific spam callers, TrueCaller will completely enable you to evade spam calls. It’s the most powerful spam buster in town. And it’s available for free.