If you’re having trouble setting off your iPhone with a non-responsive Home button, don’t panic. This problem is pretty common among old-gen iPhone users. However, several solutions can help you avoid this problem. Follow this guide to discover some simple and effective ways to fix your iPhone Home button not working issue.
- Clean iPhone Home button
- Restart your iPhone
- Enable AssistiveTouch Home button on iPhone
- Remove protective films or cases
- Change iPhone Home Button intensity
- Insert charging cable and press the Home button
- Restore the Firmware of your iPhone
- Update your iPhone
- Replace your iPhone Home button
Whenever your iPhone’s Home button is not working properly or does not click or respond, check if it’s an external issue before you jump to conclusions. Often, cleaning the home button could potentially resolve the issue.
When dirt, dust, or debris accumulates around the edges of the button, it can become less sensitive or non-functional. You must regularly clean your iPhone’s Home button to prevent such occurrences. Here’s what you should do:
- First, turn off your iPhone to avoid any accidental actions.
- Then, take a soft cloth or cotton swab slightly dampened with Isopropyl alcohol or water and gently wipe around the edges of the home button.
- Be careful not to press too hard, as this may cause damage.
- After cleaning, wait a few minutes for any residual liquid to evaporate before turning on your device again.
2. Restart your iPhone
Now the cleaning factor is out of the way, it’s time to ensure no bugs are interfering with the performance of the Home button. Every iPhone and iPad with a Home Button follows the same method of restarting.
- Press and hold the Side button from the right side of the device (Top button for small iPhones and iPads).
- Stop pressing the button when you see the slider.
- Drag the slider from left to right.
- Wait for at least 30 seconds.
- To turn ON your iPhone or iPad with the Home button, press and hold the right Side button (or Top button).
- Release it when you see the Apple logo on the screen.
This action will wipe out every software glitch that may be causing the problem. After restarting, test if the Home button has begun working as expected. Using this simple remedy may help you resolve the issue with minimal disruption to your device usage.
There is a simple and effective solution for those ready to make peace with a non-responsive Home button on the iPhone. By enabling AssistiveTouch on your iPhone, you can replicate the functions usually performed by the Home button and control your device right from the screen. To do so:
- Go to Settings → Accessibility → Touch.
- Tap AssistiveTouch → Toggle on AssistiveTouch.
Once enabled, a virtual Home button will appear on your screen. You can access essential functions such as app switching, Siri, and even locking or powering off your device.
4. Remove protective films or cases
If your iPhone’s home button is still not working, another possible reason can be the protective film or case of your iPhone is hindering the proper functionality of the Home button. The chances are that your screen guard could very rarely cause unintended pressure on the iPhone’s Home button.
Similarly, cheap screen guards could cause misalignment of the button or create an obstruction, leading to unresponsiveness. In this scenario, carefully peel off the screen guard from your iPhone and clean it with a dry cloth. Let your device rest for a few moments. It should yield positive results.
If not, don’t lose hope yet; you can try many more solutions on your own.
If the Home button only responds with a hard press, you should consider adjusting the intensity settings on your iPhone. Simply follow the steps discussed below:
- Launch the Settings app and access General menu.
- Tap Home Button.
- Tap 1, 2, or 3 and press the Home button to see how these three levels feel.
1 – soft vibration.
2 – moderate.
3 – strong vibration that almost feels like an actual click.
- After selecting the desired option, tap Done.
Another related option is Rest Finger to Open. This eliminates the need to press the Home button while trying to unlock. You have to wake the device and place your finger on the Home button to unlock and go to the Home screen.
It is a convenient and relatively simple method to resolve the iPhone Home button not clicking issue. This way, you can quickly regain seamless functionality without a more drastic solution, such as repairing or replacing the phone.
This might sound weird, but if you insert the charging cable and press the Home button simultaneously, you can bring back your malfunctioning device.
If dirt is lodged around your iPhone’s Home button, this technique can adjust it so the sensors become unobstructed. However, remember not to exert too much pressure, which can result in irreversible damage.
I believe practicing caution while going forward with this resolution is essential. If this technique does not yield positive results, try not to experiment much. Simply head on to the solution listed below.
7. Restore the Firmware of your iPhone
Another potential method to fix the Home Button on your iPhone is to restore the firmware of your device using the Device Firmware Update (DFU) mode. This solution can address software-related problems that might be causing the malfunction.
However, before you proceed, back up your important data so you don’t lose anything too important. By utilizing DFU mode, you can restore your iPhone to its prime state and bring back your Home button.
8. Update your iPhone
Maybe it’s not a human error but a software glitch. When figuring out why your iPhone Home Button is not working, verify your device is up-to-date. If not, I recommend quickly updating your iPhone’s software to the latest version.
- Open Settings → Tap General.
- Select Software Update.
- Tap Download and Install. Follow the simple on-screen instructions.
By updating your device, you not only enhance its overall performance but also resolve potential glitches responsible for the malfunctioning Home button. Before you begin, ensure you have a stable internet connection when updating.
By now, if none of the above-discussed solutions have worked for you, maybe your Home button is beyond repair. Sadly, you cannot verify this on your own. Hence, you must consider contacting Apple Support for further assistance.
Their team of skilled technicians has extensive iOS device knowledge and will guide you through potential solutions tailored to your specific situation. This is your safest bet to ensure a timely resolution for restoring the full functionality of your beloved iPhone.
Incorporating these additional troubleshooting tips into your arsenal will increase the chances of a swift revival and your iPhone’s longevity. It is often the little details that unlock seamless interactions.
- Sometimes, the Home button on your iPhone is sensitive to moisture. Ensuring your fingertips are dry before tapping makes a world of difference.
- Electronics are prone to damage by excessive force. Avoid pressing down the Home button excessively when it is non-responsive. Choose a gentle touch instead so that the technology within can respond gracefully.
Handle your device carefully, avoid exposing it to water or extreme temperatures, and keep your software up to date to minimize the risk of issues.
Happy tapping with finesse!
Bid farewell to the unresponsive blues of your iPhone Home button. Whether it’s recalibration, software tweaks, or the magic touch of assistive touch, I’ve got you covered. Your iPhone’s Home button is not just a physical entity; it’s the gateway to your digital world. So, go ahead, revive that button, and embrace the smooth interaction with your iPhone.
Thank you for reading. Please take a moment to leave your thoughts in the comment section below.
- How to restart your iPhone without power and Home button
- iPhone storage full? Ways to free up space on iPhone
- How to free up iCloud Storage on iPhone or iPad
Readers like you help support iGeeksBlog. When you make a purchase using links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read Disclaimer.