From exceeding the maximum number of presses to tear and wear, your iPhone home button may stop working due to any reason. Whatever the reason be, what’s more important is to have it fixed. Acknowledging the same, here we have listed some possible solutions that can help you fix the unresponsive iPhone home button issue.
- Clean the Home Button with Isopropyl Alcohol Wipe
- Update Your iPhone to the Latest Version
- Calibrate the Home Button
- Adjust the Home Button Click Speed
- Restore Your iPhone
- Enable Assistive Touch
- Get Home Button Repaired
1. Clean the Home Button with Isopropyl Alcohol Wipe
If you don’t remember when you last cleaned it or haven’t done it ever since you got, do it first to fix the error. Wipe it using a clean and dry microfibre cloth. If it doesn’t help, slightly soak the cloth in isopropyl alcohol (70%), then try wiping the button again.
Lastly, rub some alcohol over the button while pressing it over and again. This would work as you press it and the alcohol releases the dirt inside. If it didn’t, try a different way.
2. Update Your iPhone to the Latest Version
It may be possible the home button is not working because your iPhone isn’t updated to the latest software. As Apple keeps providing such updates to boost iPhone performance, you should download and install the latest version. Check and download it with the below-mentioned steps.
- Open the Settings app on the iPhone.
- Go to General settings.
- Tap Software Update.
- Hit Download and Install.
Your iPhone will be restarted to install the update and it should fix the issue.
3. Calibrate the Home Button
Calibrating it is the best solution you can try to troubleshoot the error. Here is all you need to do.
- Open any pre-installed app on your iPhone (Like Notes, Calculator, or Calendar).
- Press and hold the side button until you get the slide to power off on your screen.
- Now Long press the home button for a few seconds until the power off screen disappears and the app shuts off automatically.
Once you’re on the lock screen, the home button should start working now. This troubleshoot works for all the iPhones with physical and force-touch home buttons.
4. Adjust the Home Button Click Speed
You can customize the button click speed in the settings app. However, this is not a definite way to get the job done but has helped some users to resolve the error.
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Go to Accessibility.
- Tap on Home Button.
- Select Slow.
After modifying the changes, restart your iPhone again, and check if started working.
5. Restore Your iPhone
Now, this may sound a challenging task, but it would be a worth try if it resolves the issue. Restore your iPhone and your home button should start working again. Before moving forward with this step, make sure you’ve already backed up your iPhone.
6. Enable Assistive Touch
Assistive Touch on your iPhone performs the duty as a virtual home button. It contains all the shortcuts and additional gestures beyond the regular usage of the home button. If all the above-mentioned hacks didn’t work, you can take help from Assistive Touch to replace it temporarily.
- Go to Settings on the iPhone.
- Open the Accessibility settings.
- Tap On Touch.
- Select Assistive Touch.
- Enable the toggle.
The Assistive Touch will appear on your iPhone screen and you can use it for all your home button functions.
7. Get Home Button Repaired
If none of the hacks worked, the ultimate way you should opt is to have it repaired or replaced at a nearby Apple Store or through a third-party service provider.
We hope one of these hacks helped you to troubleshoot the error of your iPhone home button. If so, then which one it is? Tell us in the comment section below.
You would like to read these posts as well:
- How to Adjust iPhone Home Button Click Intensity and Speed
- Restart your iPhone Without Power and Home Button
- iPhone Power Button Not Working? Here’s Why & The Real Fix