In this modern era of digital convenience, electronic wallets are becoming a necessity. Venmo, a mobile payment service owned by PayPal, is one of the most popular e-wallet services in the world. If you have an Apple device such as an iPhone or iPad, using a Venmo account is easy! Read on to learn more about how to set up a Venmo account on your iPhone or iPad and how to begin sending and receiving money through it.
- What is Venmo and how does it work?
- How to set up a Venmo account on iPhone or iPad
- How to create a Venmo account for business on iPhone or iPad
- How to make a payment with Venmo on iPhone or iPad
- How to request payment with Venmo
- How to delete a Venmo account on iPhone or iPad
What is Venmo and how does it work?
Venmo is a digital wallet app that allows users to transfer money electronically. What makes it unique is that it’s also a social payments platform; it lets you send and receive money while connecting with your friends by adding a comment, your favorite emojis, or sending money wrapped in animated stickers.
It makes paying people for expenses like shared utilities, meals, or gifts more straightforward. Just share a QR code, look for their names in the app, and transfer funds.
If you’re still unsure what money transfer app to use, check out our roundup of the best money transfer apps to use in 2023 for more options.
Requirements to create a Venmo account
- You must reside in the US.
- You must have a working US mobile phone capable of sending and receiving text messages from shortcodes. This mobile number cannot already be registered to another Venmo account.
- You need to be at least 18 years old or the age of majority in the state where you reside.
- Have a Venmo app updated to version 7.38.2 or newer.
Note that you’ll also need a US bank account or a debit card eligible for Instant Transfer if you plan to transfer your money from your Venmo account to your bank account.
You’d also probably need a US bank account, credit card, or debit card to access a Venmo balance if you need to make larger payments.
How to set up a Venmo account on iPhone or iPad
- Go to the App Store and type Venmo → tap Get to install the app on your device.
- Launch the app. Tap Create account → select Personal → Get Started.
- Enter your phone number → tap Send Code. Wait for the code Venmo (which will come from a five-digit number, 86753) will send to your device and enter it in the spaces provided → Submit Code.
- Choose your signup method. You can sign up either with your email or with Facebook.
- Fill in your personal information. This includes your legal first name, legal last name, elected Venmo username, email, and password. You will be required to create a strong password between 8 to 20 characters long, with at least one special character and number. Note that changing your username later in your Profile settings is possible.
- Confirm that you are 18 years old or older → tap Next.
- You can next use your phone’s contacts or choose Sync Facebook Contacts (if you didn’t use Facebook as your signup method) to sync your Venmo app with your contacts on Facebook. You may also tap Skip for now if you want to add more friends on Venmo later.
- You’ll be shown the Privacy page, where you can change who can see your payments. Venmo has ditched its global social feed, so you can let your friends see your transactions, keep them private, and keep payments between you and the other user.
- Tap Done.
- You’ll see a Notification settings popup. Tap Allow notifications if you want Venmo to send notifications on your iPhone. Otherwise, select Not now.
Verify your email address
- After you sign up, Venmo will send a message to your email address.
- Click the link in the email to verify that you own the email address.
Doing this step is crucial since you won’t be able to receive payments unless your email is verified.
How to create a Venmo account for business on iPhone or iPad
If you’re using Venmo for the first time, you’ll need to create a Venmo account first. You can create both your personal and business profile at the same time during the signup process.
Note that Venmo Business profiles are only for individuals.
- Open Venmo.
- Select Business.
- Select from Individual/sole proprietor or Registered business.
- Venmo will ask whether your business uses an SSN or EIN. Select the option you use when filing your taxes.
- Enter the name of your business and the username for your business. You can also add your business’s profile picture and banner.
- Enter your 140-character Business bio.
- Under the business category, select from the available categories for the category your business belongs to.
- Tap Next.
- Enter all the information about your business, including its legal name, address, EIN or SSN, registration type, and your business’s phone number.
- Type in your business email. This will be visible to all Venmo users and will be their primary means of contacting you. You may also add your phone number, address, website, and Instagram username, which will also appear on your business profile.
- Select Next. Review your Business profile and edit the contents as needed. Once done, hit Publish.
If you already have a Venmo account want are eligible for a business account, you can create one on the Venmo app by doing either of the following:
- On the Me tab, tap the + Create a business profile in the drop-down near the top of your screen.
- Go to Settings and tap Create Business Profile.
How to make a payment with Venmo on iPhone or iPad
Before we go to the process of making a payment, you’ll first need to add your bank account to Venmo. Without one, you won’t be able to transfer your Venmo balance to your bank account or be limited to your current Venmo balance when making a payment.
Add and verify your bank account on Venmo
There are two ways to add a bank account to your Venmo:
- Instant verification: This is an instant way to verify your account. Just provide the username and password that you use for mobile banking. Venmo uses Plaid to verify your details. If your bank is eligible for instant verification, Venmo will prompt you to add your online banking details after you’ve selected your bank.
- Manual verification: This method requires you to provide your bank’s routing and account numbers. Venmo will then send micro transfers (two withdrawals and deposits amounting to less than $1 each, done simultaneously) to your account to verify ownership. Because of this, be sure you have at least $2 in your bank account. You’ll see these micro transfers within 1-3 business days. Once you do, go to www.venmo.com/verifybank to verify your bank account.
Add a credit or debit card on Venmo
- Tap the Me tab → go to the Wallet section.
- Select Add bank or card → tap Card.
- Add your card information manually or use your phone’s camera to scan your card’s information.
How to request payment with Venmo
- Choose Pay/Request at the bottom of your screen.
- Search or add the person you want to send your request to.
- Enter an amount and add a note.
- Tap Request.
How to delete a Venmo account on iPhone or iPad
You need to be logged in to your account to be able to close your account.
- Tap your picture or initials → go to the Me tab → select the Settings gear.
- Choose Account under Preferences.
- Select Close Venmo Account.
Note: Be sure to transfer all your funds to your bank account before deleting your account since your funds will no longer be available to you without getting in touch with Venmo.
Venmo will prompt people with pending transactions to address these before closing their accounts.
Creating a Venmo account on your iPhone or iPad is easy with the abovementioned steps. Depending on what you want to do with your account, you may also need to add a bank account or a debit/credit card.
Tell us how creating a Venmo account went for you in the comment section. Happy transferring!