It’s necessary to unlock your AT&T iPhone if you want to use another SIM on your device. This is because when you get your phone from AT&T, it’s ‘locked’ to work only with their SIM card. So you can’t simply move over to a new carrier whenever you wish to. This can also come handy when you plan to sell your device. So let’s learn more about the process.
- Requirements to Unlock AT&T iPhone
- How to Submit Unlock Request to AT&T
- Unlock your iPhone on AT&T with Third-Party Services
Requirements to Unlock AT&T iPhone
First, some criteria must be met before you can place an unlock request to AT&T. You must make sure that:
- Your iPhone works on the AT&T network (obviously)
- Your iPhone has not been reported stolen or lost
- Your iPhone has not been involved in any illegal/fraudulent activities
- You have fully paid off your contract or installment plan, including termination fees. If not, make the payments and wait at least 24 hours before proceeding with the unlock request
- Your iPhone is only active on your AT&T customer account and nobody else’s
- After upgrading your iPhone, you must wait for the 14-day “buyer’s remorse” period before you requesting to unlock your old device
How to Submit Unlock Request to AT&T
After meeting all the above requirements, you should check if your iPhone is eligible to be unlocked. This can be checked online on the AT&T website.
After confirming that your device is eligible to be unlocked, submit an unlock request to AT&T using the steps below:
- Go to the following link: att.com/deviceunlock
- Read through the eligibility requirements and agree to unlock your device
- Fill in the online request form and submit it
- You’ll get an email confirmation that will include your unlock request number. Please keep this email safe as it is important
- You must confirm your unlock request by clicking the link in the email within 24 hours of receiving it
- After you confirm, AT&T will respond to your unlock request within two business days.
Keep in mind that there are several reasons your request may be rejected, and you might be asked to complete some additional steps before you can unlock your AT&T iPhone.
If your unlock request is approved, AT&T will give instructions on how to proceed.
Unlock your iPhone on AT&T with Third-Party Services
If you learn that your iPhone is not eligible to be unlocked by AT&T, you can try some third-party services. There are many options available, but please do your research before picking any.
Some well-known services include DoctorUnlock and UnlockAuthority. They can help you unlock iPhone on AT&T, and the process works in the same way as the official one. It is permanent and works with all device models and OS versions.
My AT&T iPhone is Unlocked, Now What?
Once you follow the instructions and successfully unlock your phone, you can now use it with any other carrier. Just power off your iPhone, remove the existing SIM card, and insert the new one. Then, turn on your iPhone and follow the instructions on-screen to complete the setup process.
Did this guide help you successfully unlock your iPhone? Let us know in the comments below. You might also like to read how to check if your iPhone is unlocked.