We’ve seen how to share individual calendar events but if you want to collaborate with someone on a calendar, you need to share the entire calendar. With iCloud and the Calendar app, iPhone/iPad makes it easy to share calendars so multiple people can be invited to view (and optionally edit) the calendar events.
Shared calendar events are very useful and quite flexible when you’re working on a calendar that needs to be edited by multiple people. You can have shared calendars between you and your spouse, you and your co-workers and pretty much everyone else. If you are on a world-tour with your friends with different itineraries in your group, a shared calendar might come in very handy.
Here’s how to create a shared calendar and also how to turn an old calendar (created previously) into a shared one. You’ll also learn how to control the limits on the people you share your calendar with.
First off, make sure you have turned on iCloud for Calendars. (Settings → iCloud → Turn on Calendars)
If you want to create a new calendar and share that, follow these steps:
- Open the Calendar app
- Tap on Calendars from top-right
- Tap on Edit
- Now tap on Add Calendar…
- Give the calendar a name and tap Done
- Tap on the new calendar now
- Under Shared with: tap on Add Person and enter the email ID of the person you wish to share the calendar with.
- You can edit sharing/editing options by tapping on the person you’ve shared the calendar with. Turning off Allow Editing prevents the person from making changes to the shared calendar.
If you want to share an existing calendar, all you do is tap on the blue icon on right and follow the same process above (from Add Person).
Again, note that this works only when you’ve got iCloud enabled.