Normally, when you logout from an app, the app forgets the login data and asks you to use the username and password to access the service. That’s not the case with many apps from Google and Facebook.
Applications such as Facebook, Messenger, and Instagram will remember your account information to easily login using a single tap. The practice is for user convenience, but it leaves you with a scratching head in some cases. Allow me to elaborate.
A couple of days ago, my friend used my iPhone XR to login into his Instagram account. After browsing for 10 minutes, he logged out, but the app continued to remember his account, leaving his account exposed to me or anyone using my phone.
If you are in a similar situation, learn how to remove an Instagram remembered account in this guide. Let’s dive right in!
How to remove Instagram remembered accounts on iPhone
On Android, Instagram offers the ‘Remove’ option right on the home page. Things work a bit differently on iPhone, though. You need to make some changes to the Instagram Settings menu.
Before we get started, let me show you the default behavior on the iPhone. When you try to logout from your Instagram account, it shows on the Instagram home (shown in the image below). With a single tap, you can open the account.
Follow the steps below to remove Instagram remembered accounts.
- Open Instagram on your iPhone and login into your account.
- Go to the Account tab and tap the hamburger menu in the upper right corner.
- Navigate to Settings → Security → Saved login information.
- Now, toggle off the Saved login information from the following menu.
- Instagram will ask to confirm your decision. Select Remove from the following pop-up menu.
- Use the back arrow at the upper right corner to go back to the Instagram Settings menu.
- Scroll down and select Log out from the current account.
- Instagram will ask you to either Remember or Forget about the current account information. Select Not Now from the following pop-up menu.
- Confirm your decision and tap Log Out.
That’s it. You have successfully logged out from your Instagram account without leaving any trace. The next time, Instagram will ask your account password for the login procedure. Safe and secure.
Removing saved login info of multiple Instagram accounts
These days, many users opt for two Instagram accounts for personal and professional use. In such cases, Instagram does offer an option to remove the account from the home screen. Follow the steps below to learn more.
- Go to the Instagram Settings menu and log out from both accounts.
- From the Instagram home, you will see both the accounts ready-to-go with a single tap.
- Tap the small Edit button at the bottom.
- Tap the x mark beside the account that you want to remove.
- Instagram will confirm your decision following the pop-up menu. Select Remove, and the app will forget the login details of the account.
Personally, I like the convenience offered by Instagram here. But it would be great to have biometric authentication such as Face ID or Touch ID to further strengthen the account security instead of letting the user access the account with a single tap.
Go through the steps above and remove remembered Instagram accounts from other devices. Have any more questions? Fire them up in the comments section below.
You may also like to read these posts: