Normally, when you logout from an app, the app forgets the login data and asks you to use the username and password to access the service. That’s not the case with many apps from Google and Facebook.
Applications such as Facebook, Messenger, and Instagram will remember your account information to easily login using a single tap. The practice is for user convenience, but it leaves you with a scratching head in some cases. Allow me to elaborate.
A couple of days ago, my friend used my iPhone XR to login into his Instagram account. After browsing for 10 minutes, he logged out, but the app continued to remember his account, leaving his account exposed to me or anyone using my phone.
If you are in a similar situation, learn how to remove an Instagram remembered account in this guide. Let’s dive right in!
How to remove Instagram remembered accounts on iPhone
On Android, Instagram offers the ‘Remove’ option right on the home page. Things work a bit differently on iPhone, though. You need to make some changes to the Instagram Settings menu.
Before we get started, let me show you the default behavior on the iPhone. When you try to logout from your Instagram account, it shows on the Instagram home (shown in the image below). With a single tap, you can open the account.
Follow the steps below to remove Instagram remembered accounts.
- Open Instagram on your iPhone and login into your account.
- Go to the Account tab and tap the hamburger menu in the upper right corner.
- Navigate to Settings → Security → Saved login information.
- Now, toggle off the Saved login information from the following menu.
- Instagram will ask to confirm your decision. Select Remove from the following pop-up menu.
- Use the back arrow at the upper right corner to go back to the Instagram Settings menu.
- Scroll down and select Log out from the current account.
- Instagram will ask you to either Remember or Forget about the current account information. Select Not Now from the following pop-up menu.
- Confirm your decision and tap Log Out.
That’s it. You have successfully logged out from your Instagram account without leaving any trace. The next time, Instagram will ask your account password for the login procedure. Safe and secure.
Removing saved login info of multiple Instagram accounts
These days, many users opt for two Instagram accounts for personal and professional use. In such cases, Instagram does offer an option to remove the account from the home screen. Follow the steps below to learn more.
- Go to the Instagram Settings menu and log out from both accounts.
- From the Instagram home, you will see both the accounts ready-to-go with a single tap.
- Tap the small Edit button at the bottom.
- Tap the x mark beside the account that you want to remove.
- Instagram will confirm your decision following the pop-up menu. Select Remove, and the app will forget the login details of the account.
Personally, I like the convenience offered by Instagram here. But it would be great to have biometric authentication such as Face ID or Touch ID to further strengthen the account security instead of letting the user access the account with a single tap.
Go through the steps above and remove remembered Instagram accounts from other devices. If your Instagram account is hacked, you can also recover it using your iPhone or Mac. Have any more questions? Fire them up in the comments section below.
You may also like to read these posts:
- How to add alt text to Instagram posts on iPhone
- How to add a thumbnail to an Instagram video
- Recover deleted Instagram posts on your iPhone
- How to turn on Vanish mode on Instagram from iPhone
Parth previously worked at EOTO.tech covering tech news. He is currently freelancing at iGeeksBlog, Guiding Tech, iPhonehacks, and TechWiser writing about apps comparisons, tutorials, software tips and tricks, and diving deep into iOS, Android, macOS, and Windows platforms.
thanks for your article. I would like to do the same (leaving Instagram without remembering password) from my computer (website). How do I do it?
Also: do I have to do it every time? There is no way that by default Instagram doesn’t keep my data?
Thanku bro it’s really helpful
This actually helped me get rid of an old account that I did not want to use anymore. Thank you!!
thanksss. this helped me!
This was super helpful and exactly what I needed. Glad Google brought me here – thank you!
Thank you so much dude
thank you so much ive been waiting to figure this out for agessss