Background noise has long been the biggest nuisance to communication, making video and audio calls difficult and stressful. Did you know that there’s a hidden feature on your iPhone that makes your voice stand out and blocks out ambient noise during voice and video calls? Read on to learn how to enable and use Voice Isolation for cellular calls in iOS 16.4.
- What is iPhone Voice Isolation?
- Which iPhone supports Voice Isolation?
- How to turn on Voice Isolation on your iPhone
What is iPhone Voice Isolation?
Voice Isolation is a noise reduction feature that was first added to the iPhone with iOS 15, along with a roster of other cool features. It aims to make it easier for others to hear your voice better during online audio and video calls. At that point in time, the feature was only available for FaceTime calls and some third-party apps.
However, with the latest iOS 16.4 update, Apple has introduced Voice Isolation for cellular calls on iPhone. Basically, it uses machine learning to distinguish your voice from ambient background noises. Then it mutes the unwanted noise frequencies from a call, isolating your voice and improving its quality.
Benefits of using iPhone Voice Isolation
Online video and audio calls have since been the preferred way for many of us to communicate because of their quality, ease of use, and accessibility. Here are some situations when Voice Isolation can really be helpful:
- When taking a call in a crowded or noisy area: Voice Isolation can help reduce the ambient noise and make sure your voice is heard clearly over the background sound.
- When talking to someone with hearing challenges: Voice Isolation can help them better understand you by isolating your voice from background noise.
- When speaking with a large group: With Voice Isolation, when taking part in a big conference call, can help make it easier for people to distinguish your voice from the other speakers.
- When you simply want to sound as clear and distinct as possible: Voice Isolation can help by ensuring your voice is the only one heard on the call.
Which iPhone supports Voice Isolation?
Before I tell you how you can use the feature, first check if your iPhone model supports Voice Isolation. Below are the models that support the feature:
- iPhone SE (2nd generation and later)
- iPhone XR, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max
- iPhone 11 series
- iPhone 12 series
- iPhone 13 series
- iPhone 14 series
The next thing you need to ensure is updating your software to iOS 16.4. By doing so, you’ll be able to enjoy the feature on both Phone and FaceTime apps.
How to turn on Voice Isolation on your iPhone
- Open an app that supports Voice Isolation, like Phone app or FaceTime.
- Start regular audio phone call or video call.
- During the call, open Control Center.
- Tap Mic Mode → Select Voice Isolation.
Voice Isolation is a much-needed feature, especially since most of our communication happens with the help of the internet. It’s a great way to make sure your voice is heard clearly and distinctly over the background noise, allowing you to have conversations more clearly.
Have you tried it yet? Did you find it helpful? Let us know in the comments!
- 25 Best iOS 15 hidden features to try on your iPhone
- How to use FaceTime on iPhone like a pro!
- 35 Best AirPods tips and tricks
Rachel loves anything Apple —from iPhones, to Apple Watches, to MacBooks. She is also a medical writer and a ghostwriter for various publications.