Apple has unleashed its latest operating system, macOS Sonoma. Brimming with a plethora of exciting features and enhancements, this new iteration of macOS promises to redefine the way you interact with your Mac. If you want to get a hands-on experience with the new features and improvements, here’s how you can download and install the macOS Sonoma 14.4 beta 4.
- What’s new in macOS Sonoma beta?
- macOS Sonoma compatible Mac list
- How to back up your Mac
- How to download macOS Sonoma 14.4 beta 4 on Mac
- How to install macOS Sonoma 14.4 beta 4
- Install macOS Sonoma 14.4 beta 4 on a partition
What’s new in macOS Sonoma beta?
- Screen Saver: With the introduction of Screen Saver on Mac, you can now enjoy the fantastic moving images displayed on your Mac’s screen when it’s not in use.
- Desktop Widgets: You can now add widgets to your Mac screen, access your iPhone’s widgets on Mac, change the positions of those widgets, and more.
- Presenter Overlay: The new macOS Sonoma also adds a special feature for presenters and allows you to have more people on the call if you frequently use video conferencing.
- News features for Messages app: On your Mac, You can now easily find specific messages using search filters, catch up on conversations you might have missed, and reply to messages by swiping. Additionally, one of the most exciting features is that you can organize all your stickers in one place.
- PDFs and Notes: There are also special features for working with PDFs and Notes, improvements to the Safari web browser, better autocorrect on the keyboard, enhanced gaming experience on your Mac, and improved privacy and security.
To put it briefly, the macOS Sonoma update adds tons of awesome new features and enhancements to your Mac that will enhance your experience.
macOS Sonoma compatible Mac list
- MacBook Air – 2018 or later
- MacBook Pro – 2018 or later
- iMac – 2019 or later
- iMac Pro – 2017
- Mac mini – 2018 or later
- Mac Studio – 2022
- Mac Pro – 2019 or later
You can click the Apple logo () → choose About This Mac to check the name of your Mac. You will now receive an overview of your Mac, with information about the model, macOS version, and chip. Moreover, the list of the MacBooks mentioned above will receive support for macOS 14.
How to back up your Mac
Are you eager to explore macOS Sonoma 14.4 beta 4 exciting new features but concerned for your Mac’s security? Prioritizing data security is essential before enjoying the latest macOS features. To guard against any potential data loss, backing up your Mac is a crucial precaution. To quickly create a backup of your Mac, adhere to the instructions listed below.
- Click on the Apple logo () → Head to System Settings.
- Select General → Choose Time Machine.
- Click Add Backup Disk.
- Select your disk → Choose Set Up Disk.
- Enter a Password to safeguard your backup disk → Choose a Disk Usage Limit → Select Done.
However, if you find the aforementioned method too complex, we have an alternative solution for you. Feel free to explore our article, which provides simpler alternatives to back up your Mac effectively.
How to download macOS Sonoma 14.4 beta 4 on Mac
- Go to developer.apple.com in Safari on your Mac and navigate to the Discover tab.
- Select macOS → Click on Download.
- If prompted, log in using your developer account credentials.
- Look for the option to download the latest macOS 14 Sonoma → Click on Install Profile.
- Open the Downloads folder (or the default folder where files are saved).
- Locate the file named macOSDeveloperBetaAccessUtility.dmg and double-click on it to open it.
- Inside the disk image, you will find a file called macOSDeveloperBetaAccessUtility.pkg. Double-click on it to run the installer.
- In the prompt window, click on Continue, agree to the terms and conditions, → Click on Install.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation of the macOS Sonoma 14.4.
- Now, you should see the Software Update screen. If not, click Apple logo () → System Settings → Software Update.
Here you will see the macOS Sonoma 14.4 option; click Upgrade Now. Depending upon your internet speed, the download may take a while.
Note: If you don’t see an update window, restart your computer and revisit the Software update section.
How to install macOS Sonoma 14.4 beta 4
After securing a backup of your data and successfully adding the beta profile, it is now time to proceed with the installation of the macOS Sonoma 14.4 beta 4. Upon initiating the beta installer, a prompt window will appear, requesting you to begin the installation process.
Macs running Ventura 13.3 or earlier
- Click on the Continue button.
- Select the option to Agree with Apple’s Terms and Conditions.
- Proceed by clicking the Install button.
It might be necessary to free up some storage space for the installation.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the macOS Sonoma installation.
Macs running Ventura 13.4 or later
You can conveniently download and install beta updates starting with macOS 13.4 Ventura without going to a developer portal. Follow the steps outlined below.
- Click on the Apple logo () on the menu bar → Select System Settings.
- Go to General → Software Updates.
- Click on the “i” button next to Beta Updates.
- Choose the dropdown button next to Beta Updates.
- Select macOS Sonoma Developer Beta → Hit Done.
- Click on Upgrade Now next to macOS 14.4 beta 4.
Please note that the installation process may take a significant amount of time, so please exercise patience. For additional guidance, you can refer to the getting started section below. However, if you intend to install the macOS Sonoma 14.4 beta 4 on your primary device, it is advisable to install it on a separate partition.
Note: To download the macOS Sonoma Public Beta, follow steps 1-4 as mentioned above and choose macOS Sonoma Public Beta from the options available.
Install macOS Sonoma 14.4 beta 4 on a partition
A software’s beta version is subject to bugs or other problems, as I already mentioned above. Therefore, it is a good option to install the beta on a secondary device or create a partition in Mac’s storage to protect your data.
Read our article to learn more about how to create a partition on your Mac if you don’t already have one. Additionally, use the above-illustrated steps to download the developer beta as well.
- From the installation window, select Continue after the download is finished.
- Click Agree and Confirm.
- Press Show All Disks and select the partition you want.
- Click Install to begin the procedure.
Here, you have the option of choosing a clean installation and starting from scratch or using the installation helper to transfer current OS data.
Getting started with macOS Sonoma 14.4 beta 4 on Mac
Your Mac will restart with the most recent version of macOS Sonoma after the installation is complete. You must first complete a few tasks before you can start exploring the new operating system.
- Select Continue.
- Sign in with your Apple ID and Password, and let iCloud sync your data and other information.
- Click Get Started.
Maybe this is all you need!
You can go back to macOS Ventura and wait for the stable release if you don’t like the most recent macOS Sonoma or are having problems with the beta version.
- How to fix Unable to check for updates on Mac
- How to download and install iOS 17.4 beta 4 on iPhone
- How to downgrade macOS Sonoma to Ventura (Without losing data)