The world is broadly divided into two types of people; those who religiously read every mail they receive and keep their inbox clutter-free, and those who let those unread email numbers pile up eternally in that small red dot on the app icon. If you belong to the latter category, you can easily hide or disable the red notification badge from the app icon on your iPhone. Let me show you how.
How to hide red notification badge from app icons on iPhone or iPad
- Open the iPhone Settings app and tap Notifications.
- Tap the desired app name.
- Toggle off Badges.
- Since there is no single switch to turn off all app badges, you will have to follow the above steps on a per-app basis.
Turn off app notification badge from iPhone Notification Center
Have an unopened notification in the Notification Center?
- Swipe right to left on one and tap Manage.
- Next, tap Deliver Quietly. Now, this app’s notification will not make a sound or show red badge icons.
- New notifications from this app will be visible in the Notification Center. Follow the same steps and tap Deliver Prominently to undo this change.
This is how you can hide the red dot from app icons on the iPhone Home Screen and App Library. The downside to this is you will have no idea of the number of unread messages or notifications. Moreover, sometimes these red badges remind you to act. For example, when I see a red badge on WhatsApp, I know I have to reply.
I have turned off red badges for Mail, Instagram, Facebook, and similar apps on my iPhone. The constantly increasing number is annoying. But for payment apps, Slack, Basecamp, and other essential apps, I prefer seeing the number of unread notifications so that I can attend to them.
If any day you wish to revert, follow the same steps and toggle on Badges. Once again, you will start seeing red-numbered dots on that app icon.
Have questions? Please use the comments section below.
Check out next: