In iOS 17, iMessage provides many personalization features but you can’t still change the blue iMessage bubble color to something else on your iPhone. Don’t worry! In this guide, I’ll show how to customize text bubble colors on iPhone and iPad to make your texting more fun.
- What are the standard iMessage colors?
- How to change iMessage bubble color using Settings on iPhone or iPad
- How to change iMessage text bubble color using third-party app on iPhone or iPad
What are the standard iMessage colors?
By default, You will notice three different color bubbles when using the Messages app on your iPhone or iPad. Here’s an explanation of what each color represents:
- Blue bubble: It represents that the message is delivered to iPhone, iPad, or Mac users who use the iMessage service.
- Green bubble: It shows that the message is intended as a regular SMS to an Apple or a non-Apple user.
- Grey bubble: It is the color of the messages that have been received, whether they are SMS or iMessage.
How to change iMessage bubble color using Settings on iPhone or iPad
- Open Settings
- Head to Accessibility → Select Per-App Settings.
- Tap Add App → Choose Messages.
- Now, tap Messages → Go to Increase Contrast → Select On.
Now, you can see that the shade of blue in your iMessage’s bubble will become slightly dark.
How to change iMessage text bubble color using third-party app on iPhone or iPad
- Download the Color Text Bubbles on iMessage app.
- Open Messages → Choose a chat.
- Tap the plus sign beside the text bar → Select More → Color Text Bubbles.
- Choose a text bubble template or tap Type Custom Message.
- Type your message → Tap the Bubble Color icon → Choose a color → Tap Done.
If you’re using the free version, you’ll have 12 color options.
- Tap the Send button to send your custom message.
Note: You might encounter an advertisement or an offer to upgrade. Wait a moment, then click the X to close the ad or select Later to dismiss the upgrade offer.
- Finally, tap the Send arrow.
Congratulations! You have successfully sent your message with the custom color text bubble.
Yes, there are several limitations to changing the color of your iMessage bubble. For instance, the recipient might not be able to see the customized bubble color like yours, or you couldn’t send the colored text bubbles to older iOS or Android phones.
Yes, it is safe to change your iMessage bubble color. Choose reputable third-party apps with good reviews and give only the required permissions to change your iMessage bubble color.
Apple currently does not allow users to change the iMessage bubble color without using a third-party app.
Bring your iMessages to life!
I hope the guide helped you customize the color of your text bubble on iOS. While the Color Text Bubbles app makes it simple to change blue iMessage bubble colors to something else and spice up your conversations, there are many ads. Given that the app is free, this is to be expected.
Have you used any other third-party apps to change the iMessage color of the text? Please let me know in the comments below.
- How to use Messages app on iPhone: Ultimate guide!
- How to use Emoji Tapbacks in iMessage on iPhone and iPad
- How to rearrange and delete iMessage apps on iPhone or iPad
Readers like you help support iGeeksBlog. When you make a purchase using links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more.
Bhaskar is a tech guru who turned wordsmith. Hiding his B.Tech degree in a closet, he ditched the corporate path to simplify tech for everyone. For the past 5 years, he's been dishing out how-tos, reviews, and sharp insights. But there's more! He's a witty interview champ and has been sharing his wisdom for 3 years. Furthermore, he has honed his editing skills for 1.5 years and is now delving into marketing to assist newcomers. When not jamming his fingers on those mechanical keyboards, you may find him on strings or engaging in sports. And by evening, his quotes will be appearing on your Instagram feeds.