It was not so long ago that you were unable to download iPhone apps over 200MB using cellular data. You needed Wi-Fi’s help.
However, in iOS 13, Apple lifted this restriction. Now, by enabling an option under in Settings, you can download apps bigger than 200MB using mobile data. This feature carried over to iOS 14 as well.
So, without further ado, let’s walk through how to download apps larger than 200MB over cellular data. We’ll also show you a handy trick if you’re using an iPhone 6 or earlier with iOS 12.
Download apps larger than 200MB over cellular data
- Open Settings on your iPhone.
- Scroll down, and tap iTunes and App Store. In iOS 14, it was renamed to just App Store.
- Now, tap App Downloads.
Here you can see three options:
- Always Allow: This option will download all the apps automatically using cellular data. When roaming, permission to download is always required
- Ask If Over 200 MB: It will notify and ask you for permission to download apps larger than 200 MB
- Ask First: It will always ask for permission to download apps, irrespective of their size
Select the option you prefer and enjoy downloading apps over 200 MB without a Wi-Fi connection.
If your device runs iOS 12, you can download apps up to 200 MB using cellular data on your iOS device. Though not supported directly by Apple, there is a trick to bypass this restriction.
How to download apps over 200MB without Wi-Fi in iOS 12
- First off, open the App Store and head over to the app you wish to download. Then, tap GET. Next, confirm using your Face ID, Touch ID, or password.
- Now, you will receive a notification saying “Connect to a Wi-Fi network to download [App name]” Don’t worry, tap OK. Now, go to the Home screen.
- The app icon should appear on your home screen until you connect to Wi-Fi.
- Next, launch Settings → General.
- Select Date & Time.
- Toggle Set Automatically to off.
- Now, tap the Date and then move it 1-2 days forward.
It’s that easy to download large apps using mobile data. Useful apps like Uber (280+ MB), Lyft (245+ MB), and more are over 200 MB in size. If you were outside (without Wi-Fi) and needed to install one of these apps, you’d find yourself in quite the pickle without knowing these tricks.
Thankfully, now you can install such essential (emergency) apps even when you don’t have access to a wireless connection. Next, you may like to read our list of the best security apps for the iPhone and iPad.
Thank you so much for reading, we hope this article helped you download apps larger than 200MB over cellular data. Please leave any further questions in the comment section below and we’ll do our best to help!
You might want to refer to these posts as well:
- How to Use PS4 or Xbox One Controller with iPhone and iPad
- How to Enable Dark Mode on iPhone and iPad
- All the New Keyboard Shortcuts in iPadOS
- What iPad Do I Have? Find iPad Model and Generation
Readers like you help support iGeeksBlog. When you make a purchase using links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read Disclaimer.