Earlier you could not download iPhone apps over 200MB using cellular data. You needed Wi-Fi. However, in iOS 13, Apple lifted this restriction. Now, by enabling an option under the settings, you can download apps bigger than 200MB using mobile data. This feature has carried over to iOS 14 as well. So, without further ado, let me show you how to turn it on. At last, we also have a handy trick if you are using iPhone 6 or earlier with iOS 12.
- How to Download Apps Larger Than 200MB Over Cellular Data in iOS 13 or later
- How to Download Apps Larger Than 200MB without WiFi in iOS 12
How to Download Apps Larger Than 200MB Over Cellular Data in iOS 13 or later
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Scroll down, and tap on iTunes and App Store. In iOS 14, it has been renamed to just App Store.
- Now, tap on App Downloads.
Here you can see three options:
- Always Allow: This option will download all the apps automatically using cellular data. When roaming, permission to download is always required
- Ask If Over 200 MB: It will notify and ask you for permission to download apps over 200 MB
- Ask First: And, it will always ask for permission to download apps, irrespective of their size
You can select any one option you wish and enjoy downloading apps over 200 MB without a Wi-Fi network.
If your device runs iOS 12, you can download apps up to 200 MB using cellular data on your iOS device. Though not definitive, there is a trick to bypass this restriction.
How to Download Apps Larger Than 200MB without WiFi in iOS 12
- First off, open App Store and head over to the app you wish to download. Then, tap on GET button. Next, confirm using your Face ID, Touch ID, or password.
- Now, you will receive a notification saying “Connect to a Wi-Fi network to download [App name]” Don’t worry, tap on OK. Now, go to the Home screen.
- The app icon should appear on your home screen until you connect to Wi-Fi.
- Next, launch Settings app → Tap on General.
- Select Date & Time.
- Next up, turn off the switch next to Set Automatically.
- Now, tap the Date and then move it 1-2 days forward.
This is how you can effortlessly get large apps using mobile data. Useful apps like Uber (280+ MB), Lyft (245 MB), and more are over 200 MB in size. Earlier, if you were outside (without Wi-Fi) and needed these apps, you could be in a soup. Thankfully, now you can install such essential (emergency) apps even when you do not have a wireless connection. Next, you may like to see our list of the best security apps for the iPhone and iPad.
You might want to refer these posts as well:
- How to Use PS4 or Xbox One Controller with iPhone and iPad
- How to Enable Dark Mode on iPhone and iPad
- All the New Keyboard Shortcuts in iPadOS
- What iPad Do I Have? Find iPad Model and Generation
Thank you so much for reading. I hope you found this blog helpful, mention in the comments below if you want any more quick fixes or hacks related to Apple.