In our digital age, we have more devices than ever. We have home computers, work computers, family computers, smartphones, and tablets. While it’s convenient to have different devices for different parts of our lives, it’s not convenient to have all our media and files are spread across all of those devices.
If you’re on your iPhone and want to access photos, music, videos or anything off your computer back at home- you’re out of luck. That’s where the younity app comes in.
younity connects your devices so you can access all your videos, music, photos, and documents on any of your computers from your mobile phone or tablet. younity gives you access to all of your stuff, from anywhere.
What is younity?
younity is free and easy app that lets your computers work like home media servers, so you can access all your media and files on your computers from your mobile phone or tablet.
With younity you can seamlessly access all of your videos, photos, music, and documents stored on your Windows or Mac computers from your iPhone or iPad without any complicated set up, syncing, or configuration.
You can also privately share any of your files with friends through the younity app, regardless of file size.
younity does many things, but a few highlights are:
- Access and share all of your movies stored on your computer from your phone or tablet.
- Access your whole music collection (not just iTunes purchases) on the go.
- Access and share all of your GoPro video.
- Post photos stored on your computer directly to Instagram.
younity works with both Mac and PC computers, and is currently available as an iOS app. An Android app is in the works and will be released very soon.
How does younity work?
While some people might associate some of younity’s features with a cloud service, younity is not a cloud. With younity, all of your files are kept secure and private on your own computers- younity just creates a connection to let you access them remotely. This means that you have access to all of your files without taking up any space on your phone or iPad.
All of your files are also very private and secure, as all of your files are kept on and between your own devices. Since younity never has your files and doesn’t store them online, they can’t access your files, see your files, or lose your files.
To use younity, you just have to install younity on every computer you want to access, and then install the app on your mobile phone or tablet (or both!).
One caveat to everything working properly is that the computers you want to access remotely must be on and connected to the internet.
How To Set Up younity
It just takes a couple of steps to connect your devices with younity.
Step 1. Visit getyounity.com to install younity on your computers (install the app on every computer you want to access)
Step 2. Install the younity app on your mobile phone or tablet.
And that’s it! You can bask in the glory of access all your media and files!
A couple things to keep in mind during set up:
- It can take some time for younity to scan your computer for all your digital files. Typically, scans take several minutes, but it depends on how many files you have. If you have millions of files on a slower computer it could take up to an hour or more. Keep in mind that you cannot access your files through younity until the scan is complete. As soon as the scan is complete you will be notified on your computer.
- When younity is installed on your mobile phone or tablet it will transfer the information about your digital files (AKA “metadata”) to your mobile device. This should take 1-4 minutes, depending on how much data you have.
If you need additional help setting up younity, you can find detailed instructions on their website.
Excellent Features of younity
- Access your entire movie collection when you’re traveling.
- Play your GoPro videos on your mobile phone or tablet.
- Share movies or any other type of video with friends.
- Connect to Airplay to stream to a TV from your iPhone or iPad.
- Play all your music from anywhere.
- Share music with friends.
- Share iTunes playlists.
- Access all your photos without taking up space on your mobile phone or tablet.
- Post photos on your computer directly to Instagram.
- Share high-resolution photos with family or friends.
- Print from any AirPrint-enabled printer.