Update: Evasi0n7 1.0.3 is out with Retina iPad mini boot loop fix and support for iOS 7.1 beta 3. You can download latest jailbreak software from official website of Evasion.
In a surprise release, evad3rs team released Evasi0n7 untethered jailbreak for iOS 7 compatible devices. If you've been waiting for the jailbreak, I'd suggest that you wait a little longer till all issues related to Evasi0n7 and Mobile Substrate compatibility are sorted out.
For those of you who just want to see Cydia on their iDevices and want to jump on this one, you can proceed – but with caution. The downside is not many tweaks are compatible now so it's going to be pretty blank jailbreak.
iOS 7 UNTETHERED JAILBREAK COMPATIBLE DEVICES
You need any iDevice that runs iOS 7 through 7.0.4. It is safe to do a fresh restore to iOS 7.0.4 (of course, do a backup of your device before that) through iTunes.
- iPhones: 5s, 5, 4s, 4
- iPad: Air, 4th gen, 3rd gen
- iPad mini w/Retina display, mini (original)
- iPod Touch 5th generation
The device should be running iOS 7.0 or other versions of iOS up to 7.0.4.
How to Untethered Jailbreak iOS 7 on iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch Using Evasi0n7
Just like last time, Evasi0n gives a simple process to do an untethered jailbreak of your iDevice. Unlike Redsn0w, there are no complications involved. Here's how to get it done:
- Download Evasi0n7 for Windows / Mac (Go to Evasi0n.com to download the software)
- On Windows, right click the executable file and run as Administrator.
- When the file opens, you will have to connect your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch. Make sure you have removed/disabled passcode lock (Setting → General → Passcode Lock → Turn Passcode Off)
- When your device is connected, the “Jailbreak” button becomes enabled. Click on it for the process to begin.
- You will find that the iDevice reboots a few times through the jailbreak. After a while, you will have to tap on the Evad3rs icon on the iDevice for finishing the jailbreak process.
- Your device will reboot once more after the software tells you that the jailbreak was successful. Once the device reboots, you should find Cydia on the second homescreen.
Untethered Jailbreak iOS 7 Troubleshooting
If you get stuck somewhere along the process, it's pretty safe to do this:
- Quit the Evasi0n7 program
- Press and hold Power and Home button till the iDevice switches off. Then press the power button again to restart.
- Open Evasi0n7 again and re-start the whole process again.
Over the air updates seem to be facing issues. If you did an OTA to get to iOS 7.0.x, you might have to do this:
- Take a full backup of your iDevice in iTunes
- Now, do a fresh restore via iTunes and upgrade to iOS 7.0.4
- Then, restore the backup
- Finally, proceed to jailbreak.
Note that the Cydia package that comes with Evasi0n7 isn't the latest one that Saurik/Jay Freeman has been working on to make it iOS 7 compatible. So there are a lot of bugs right now, especially when you try to install tweaks that depend on Mobile Substrate. You might want to wait till things get fixed.
If you jailbroke now, you can still use the upgraded version of Evasi0n7 (when it comes) and re-jailbreak your device.