For those who haven’t yet heard the news, Apple announced a minor update to its mobile operating system – iOS 6.0.1. The update brings very few changes, with most eyes going towards the Maps app. Apple hasn’t really made drastic changes to the Maps app; instead, the changes are largely focused on creating an effective bug tracking system for Maps.
For the jailbreaking community and unlockers, the primary focus (however) lies on unlock capability and compatibility. Every time Apple releases an update to its firmware, jailbreaking and unlocking community has to work overtime to tweak the jailbreak and unlock so it works.
With iOS 6.0.1 released, iPhone Dev Team is now working to get Ultrasn0w to unlock iPhones. The jailbreak and unlock scenario is currently quite complex with few devices getting tethered jailbreak on iOS 6 and a few not having any.
But here’s how to unlock iPhone 4 and 3GS models running iOS 6.0.1 thanks to the Ultrasn0w Fixer which recently received an update.
- A jailbroken iPhone 4/3GS (the fixer and unlock works only on iPhone 4 and 3GS) (here’s )
- An iPhone with the following basebands:
(to check the Baseband of your iPhone, navigate to Settings -> General -> About and scroll down)
How to Unlock iPhone 4 or 3GS running iOS 6.0.1:
- Open Cydia on your jailbroken iPhone
- Navigate to Manage -> Sources -> Edit -> Add and then type in this repo: http://repo.iparelhos.com
- Now, let Cydia respring.
- Look for “Ultrasn0w” and install it. (compatible version is iOS 6 at the moment, but don’t worry about that; just install it)
- Once Ultrasn0w is installed, search for “Ultrasn0w Fixer” and install it too.
Once both these get installed, your iPhone should be able to activate any SIM that you put into it.