TypeStatus is a cool tweak that puts a speech bubble on the status bar when someone’s typing you an iMessage. You don’t have to keep the Messages app open for this. TypeStatus 1.0 – which is available for free on the ModMyi repo – does not have any configuration options.
You just install the tweak, it gets enabled by default and whenever you are in conversation with someone over iMessage, you’ll notice a tiny speech bubble showing up on the status bar when the other person is typing.
Yesterday, TypeStatus got updated to 1.1 bringing some uber-cool features.
For starters, you can configure things in TypeStatus now. Here’s what is new:
- Instead of a speech bubble, you can now enable an option where the entire status bar is filled with a message from TypeStatus. It goes ‘Typing: firstname.lastname@example.org’ where the email is that of the person sending you an iMessage!
- You can configure how the new notification works: fades, slides etc. You can also disable it if this is too much of an information.
- You can also set read receipts to appear on the status bar so that when someone has read your iMessage, it shows up on the status bar too as ‘Read: email@example.com’
Last time I checked, this new version of TypeStatus was not under ModMyi yet. However, you can grab a copy of this from Hashbang’s private repo. Here’s how to get the new TypeStatus:
- Go to Cydia
- And then Manage -> Sources -> Edit -> Add
- Add this repo: http://cydia.hbang.ws/
- Now get TypeStatus installed from the new repo
Head over to Settings -> TypeStatus to play with the settings.
TypeStatus works with biteSMS too. Now, if only the dev added Whatsapp-support! It seems that the developer is working on that too and the tweak will be ‘sold’ for a small price.
A quick video on how to use TypeStatus: