Unfortunately, Touch ID is not working on my iPhone 7/7 Plus. What could be the reason behind the ill-functioning of the fingerprint identity sensor and how I can fix it?
There could be quite a few reasons why Touch ID may not be working on your iPhone. As for instance, it could be sweat or the improper placement of the finger. You can fix this problem by trying out these simple yet effective tips. Let's find out!
Touch ID Not Working Issue on iPhone 7 or 7 Plus: Possible Solutions
Before we start
- Touch Lightly: When touching the Home button, make sure to apply less force.
- Make sure your finger is not too cold. If it's cold, then rub the finger on any surface or cloth to ensure it gets normal.
- Keep your fingers clean and dry as sweat or liquid can become a roadblock.
- Clean both your finger and Home button with a smooth cloth and try again.
- At the time of registering your finger in the first phase, move your finger properly so that entire surface is scanned. In the second stage, ensure that all the edge is scanned accurately.
- The screen protector or case must not cover up the Home button.
- Your finger must touch the capacitive metal ring and the Home button.
- At the time of authenticating your finger, make sure to keep it at one place.
Solution #1. Delete and Re-Add Your Fingerprints
Step #1. Open Settings app → Touch ID & Passcode.
Step #2. → Enter your passcode.
Step #3. Tap on the fingerprint. Then, tap on Delete Fingerprint. Make sure to delete all of your registered fingerprints.
Step #4. Now, reboot your iPhone (Press and hold the power button and volume down button.)
Step #5. Open Settings app → Touch ID & Passcode → Add a Fingerprint and register your fingerprint as usual.
Solution #2. Enable Rest Finger to Open
When Rest Finger to Open is enabled, you have to open your device using Touch ID instead of pressing the Home button to open it.
Step #1. Tap on Settings → General.
Step #2. Tap on Accessibility.
Step #3. Tap on Home Button.
Step #4. Enable Rest Finger to Open.
Solution #3. Update Your iPhone
If none of the above-mentioned tips have worked in fixing the Touch ID issue on your device, you need to update your iPhone. Software Upgrade may fix this problem. Go to Settings → General → Software Update.
These tricks have always worked for me in resolving the Touch ID issue on my iPhone. I hope they can work for you as well. Just in case, they don't work and you continue to face this problem, contact Apple for help.