To put it in the right perspective straightaway, there could be several reasons why you may find Siri not working on your X, iPhone 8/8 Plus. For instance, you might have accidentally disallowed the access to the personal assistant or your Internet connection is just not good enough for the virtual assistant. Oh, I can’t keep away the possibility of the ill-functioning microphone either! So, what’s the way to fix Siri not responding issue on the iPhone?
Having looked into several things, we have talked about the solutions that can come handy in getting rid of the issue. More often than not, you would be able to circumvent the obstacle by just taking care of the basic things. But in some rare cases, you might have to travel a bit far.
Siri Not Working on iPhone X, iPhone 8/8 Plus? Here is the Fix
- Before going any further, ensure that “Hey Siri” is turned on. Open Settings app on your iOS device → Siri & Search → now ensure that the switches for Listen for Hey Siri, Press Home/Side button for Siri and Allow Siri when locked are ON.
- Ensure that your iOS device is face up as placing it face down disables “Hey Siri.”
- Try to use Siri with a headset on your device. If the personal assistant is working when you use a headset. The microphones may be at fault. You can fix them by using these simple tricks.
- Be sure Siri & Dictation is not restricted. Open Settings → General → Restrictions and ensure that Siri & Dictation switch is not disabled.
- The personal assistant uses your location for several things like answering questions and providing suggestions about what’s nearby. Hence, make sure it’s got the access to your location. Launch Settings app → Privacy → Location Services → Siri & Dictation and select While Using the App.
- Try enabling Dictation on your device. Open Settings app → General → Keyboard → Enable Dictation. Then, invoke the personal assistant to see if it has come back into action.
- One more thing, while speaking to the virtual assistant, be as precise and specific as possible. For instance, “Hey Siri, set the timer for 10 minutes.” “Hey Siri, what’s Apple’s stock price?”
Start from the Scratch
Step #1. Open Settings app on your iOS device → Tap on Siri & Search.
Step #2. Now, turn off the switches next to Listen for “Hey Siri” and Press Home for Siri or Press Side Button for Siri.
Step #3. Next, reboot your device.
Press and realese Volume Up button then press and release Volume Down button and finally, press and hold side button.
Step #4. Once your device has restarted, turn on the switches. (You would have to re-enable Hey Siri. Follow the on-screen instructions to set it up again.)
After you have reset the digital assistant, invoke it. Most probably, you are on the winning side of the stream!
Check Out the Internet Connection
The personal assistant requires a strong Internet connection to work. Therefore, ensure that it’s in fine fettle. Open Settings app → Airplane Mode and turn it on. Now, wait for some time and then turn it off. Next, try using the virtual assistant. It should work now.
If Siri is still not responding, launch Safari and head over to any site to check whether there is an issue with the Internet. In case your network connection is at fault, follow the below-mentioned troubleshooting guides to resolve the issue.
Once you have resolved the network issues, Siri should start working as usual. But if it’s still plagued by the problem, move on to the next solution.
Update iOS on Your Device
“Software Update” can be worth a try. It often comes with some bug fixes and performance enhancements. Therefore, it’s apt to give it a chance to resolve the problem.
Before going for the update, you need to ensure that there is proper Wi-Fi connection on your iPhone. Besides, the device must have at least 50% battery.
Step #1. Open Settings app on your iOS device → tap on General.
Step #2. Tap on Software Update. Next, if there is an update waiting for you, download and install it.
After the update, check out if the problem is fixed. I guess you have finally succeeded in overcoming the hurdle. Congrats!
Assuming, you have been able to shoot out the roadblock and begun to use the virtual assistant on your device. Which one of the above solutions clicked for you? It would be nice to know that in the comments below.
Still struggling to fix the issue? Though I’m pretty confident that it’s not the case with you, I can’t rule out this possibility either. In this situation, I would recommend you to Contact Apple Support.
You might want to take a peek at these posts as well:
- Touch Screen Not Working on iPhone X, iPhone 8/8 Plus
- How to Fix Screen Distortion on iPhone and iPad
- Tips to Avoid Burn-in Issues on iPhone X