Welcome to Appy Week with AK, aka Arshmeet Kaur, where I choose one app every week and put it through its paces. I will be using the app each day for a week, test it, explore all its features, pinpoint pros & cons, and more. And to kickstart the series, I have chosen to review J&J Official 7 Minute Workout.
January can officially be called the resolution-making month, and the most common goals at the start of the year are fitness related. So, the 7 Minute Workout app by Jhonson & Jhonson is an obvious pick.
Quoted as one of the best free iOS workout apps, but is it as good as it sounds on paper? Does it really give the user what it promises? Should you download or pass? Well, I can help answer your queries and save your time and efforts. Keep scrolling to know how well it performed on the AK Meter.
J&J Official 7 Minute Workout: Introduce fitness to your life
The Johnson & Johnson home workout app is as relevant an app in 2021 as it was in 2014 during its launch. Yes! It is an old app. Nothing much has changed, but then science never grows old, does it?
The app uses science-based methods to help you reach your fitness goal and maintain it, even if you are short on time. Designed to make every minute count, it uses a mix of circuit and high-intensity training for more significant impact in less time.
Let’s understand it from the horse’s mouth itself, the program developer and fitness expert at Jhonson & Jhonson, Chris Jordan.
The app is designed for the layman; there are no pompous claims or promises of transformation. It takes you straight to the point, or shall I say, exercises, and I love that about this app.
Is the regime really just 7 minutes?
Yes & no! The built-in, default exercise regime comes around seven minutes. If you add the warm-up and cool-down timing, it’s around 10 – 15 minutes, which is manageable even in our busy schedules.
Beginner-friendly or for pros?
For the benefit of beginners, Chris Jordan’s digital avatar and voice guide you through the circuits. It even prompts when to breathe in, hold, and release a pose. Plus, you can even check out and learn each exercise individually.
As for intermediate and pros, they can choose a Smart Workout designed according to their fitness and motivation level. You can level up by selecting a mod or hard regime from the workout library.
You can even construct your custom workouts.
Features to look forward
- Fits your style – A major plus for me as you are not bound to a specific preset. The app offers 72 exercises and 22 preset workouts with varying intensity and duration. Whether you have seven minutes, half-hour, or more to devote, there is something for everyone.
- Thumbs up or down – You are free to like and dislike an exercise, which will be taken into account in your Smart Workout.
- Reminder – If toggled On, you can receive workout and inactivity reminders set according to your preference.
- iOS-friendly – Like every good iOS app, the 7 Minute Workout app also syncs with your Health app to track your workout.
- Pumping Music – While the app does not incorporate a workout music station, you can blast the beats of your choice from Apple music or your favorite music app in the background.
- Socialize – You can also share your progress with your friends and family via Facebook and Twitter.
My feelings after one week
J&J Official 7 Minute Workout is an almost perfect app for beginners testing the waters for home workouts. It just demands your time and dedication to gift you a fitter body. The tutorials are effective, and the app is super easy to maneuver.
However, the app is a bit monotonous, stagnant, and I felt that it lacks a motivational quotient. Overall, it does not inspire you to continue your workout or come back again. Moreover, no new exercises or other studies are being added, so the app is good to start with, but you will have to switch to something better later.
AK Meter (points out of 5)
- User interface – 4
- Ease of Use – 4.5
- Enrichment – 4
- Value for Money – 5 (it’s free)
- Fun Quotient – 3.5
- Motivating – 3.5
- Exercise – 4
What is Appy Week with AK?
Being a through and through enthu-cutlet for all things tech & design, I love exploring new apps and understanding their uses, the developer’s perspective, and how well they work.
Through Appy Week with AK, I try to bring all those observations to the table to help you discover new apps and decide whether the app is worth your time and energy. I plan to test and review a new app every week. And I invite you all to join me on this journey.
Stay tuned, as there are tons of app reviews to follow! Feel free to share your views and critiques about the app in the comment section below; I would love to hear your side of the story.
You may also like to read:
- iPad and iPhone Apps on Sale Today
- How to Use Apple Fitness+: The Ultimate Guide
- iPad and iPhone Apps Gone Free Today