iOS 11.3 has come with several new features like ARKit 1.5 which has the support of more immersive augmented reality experiences and iPhone Battery Health (Beta). The latest iOS version also includes some new Animoji for iPhone X. Considering it’s a major update, you should take a peek at all the iOS 11.3 features, improvements and bug fixes.
Among a number of exciting features that have caught my eyes are “Business Chat” and the all-new music video section in Apple Music. Oh yes, AR has also got a huge boost as well!
iOS 11.3 Features, Improvements, and Bug Fixes
iPhone Battery Health (Beta)
It shows information on iPhone maximum battery capacity as well as peak performance capability.
It displays performance management feature that dynamically manages maximum performance to prevent unexpected shutdowns. Moreover, it also recommends if a battery needs to be replaced. (Head over to this post to know more about this power management feature.)
- ARKit 1.5 lets developers put digital objects on vertical surfaces such as doors, walls, and doors in addition to horizontal surfaces.
- It includes the support for detecting and incorporating images such as movie posters or artwork into AR experiences.
- It has got the support of higher resolution real-world camera view while using AR experiences.
iPad Charge Management
- It manages battery health when iPad is connected to power for a longer period of time like when it’s stored in charging carts or used in point of sale systems.
- It has got four new Animoji on iPhone X: lion, bear, dragon, and skull.
Business Chat (Beta) – the US only
- It allows you to communicate with companies to ask questions, schedule appointments, and make purchases right from the Messages app. Currently, it’s available in the US only.
Health Records (Beta) – the US only
- You can now access health records, check out lab results, immunizations, and several other important info in a timeline in the Health app.
- It features an all-new music video experience like updated Music Videos section with video playlists.
- You can now find friends who have similar tastes with the help of the updated suggestions in Apple Music. For instance, it will help you discover genres people enjoy and mutual friends who follow them.
- Top Stories now show up first in For You.
- You can now watch Top Videos curated by News editors.
- You can now sort customer reviews on product pages by Most Helpful, Most Favorable, Most Critical, or Most Recent.
- It has improved Updates tab information with app version and file size.
- Safeguards privacy by only AutoFilling usernames and passwords after selecting them in a web form field.
- It has included warnings in the Smart Search Field when interacting with password or credit card forms on non-encrypted web pages.
- AutoFill for usernames and passwords have become available in web views within apps.
- The articles that you share to Mail from Safari are now formatted using Reader mode by default.
- Folders in Favorites now displays icons for the bookmarks contained within.
- App Store now includes accessibility support for bold and large text for display customization.
- Smart Invert has now added the support for images on the web and in Mail messages.
- It has bolstered RTT experience and also included RTT support for T-Mobile.
- It has improved app switching on iPad for VoiceOver and Switch Control users.
- Fixes an issue where VoiceOver incorrectly described Bluetooth status and badge icons.
- Resolved an issue where end call button might not be presented in the Phone app while using VoiceOver
- Resolves issue where in-app app rating was not accessible with VoiceOver.
- It has added two new Shuangpin keyboard layouts.
- Contains support for connected hardware keyboards using the Turkish F keyboard layout.
- It has improved Chinese and Japanese keyboards for better reachability on 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch devices.
- Allows switching back to the keyboard after dictation with just a single tap.
- Fixes an issue where auto-correct could incorrectly capitalize some words.
- Resolves an issue on iPad Pro which prevented the iPad Smart Keyboard from working after connecting to a captive Wi-Fi access point.
- Resolved an issue that could cause the Thai keyboard to switch to the numeric layout while using landscape mode incorrectly.
- When you allow an Apple feature to use your personal information, an icon will show up along with a link to detailed information explaining how your data will be used and safeguarded.
Some Other Improvements and Bug Fixes
- It has come with the support for the AML standard that offers more accurate location data to emergency responders when SOS is activated.
- It includes the support for software authentication as a new way for developers to create and enable HomeKit compatible accessories.
- Podcasts now allow you to play episodes with a single tap. You will also tap into Details to get more info about each episode.
- It has improved search performance for users with long notes in Contacts.
- It has improved the performance of Handoff and Universal Clipboard when both devices are on the same Wi-Fi network.
- Resolves an issue that could prevent incoming calls from waking the display.
- Fixes an issue that could delay or prevent playback of Visual Voicemail.
- Fix an issue that prevented opening a web link in Messages.
- Gets rid of an issue that could prevent users from returning to Mail after previewing a message attachment.
- Resolves an issue that could cause Mail notifications to reappear on the Lock screen after they had been cleared.
- Troubleshoots an issue that could cause time and notifications to disappear from the Lock Screen.
- Addresses an issue that prevented parents from using Face ID to approve Ask to Buy requests.
- Resolves an issue in Weather where current weather conditions may not have been updated.
- Troubleshoots issue where contacts may not sync with a car’s phone book when connected over Bluetooth.
- Fixes an issue that could prevent audio apps from playing in cars when the app was in the background.
Have your say
What’s your take on iOS 11.3 and which are the new features that have impressed you a lot? Shoot your feedback in the comments.
- How to Improve iOS 11 Battery life
- Wi-Fi Not Working in iOS 11
- Bluetooth Not Working in iOS 11
- How to Customize iMessage App Drawer in iOS 11