Update: Instagram’s update (to 4.1) now brings this feature by default. You can import videos from Camera Roll without having to use a jailbreak tweak.
Instagram’s video offering is catching up fast and some experts are calling it a stiff competition to Vine, Twitter’s ultra-popular video sharing service. While Vine lets you do six-second videos, Instagram Video allows 10-seconds for each video you capture on the iPhone.
But not only that, Instagram Video also incorporates all the bells of Instagram (the filters) so you can actually make your video more interesting. That’s a definite plus over Vine. But Instagram for iPhone only lets you capture videos through Instagram and use them in the video collage. If you want to import videos you’ve already recorded (from the Camera Roll), that’s a “no” from Instagram.
Thankfully, there’s something called ‘tweak.’ And we’re looking at a Cydia tweak called InstaChooser which will bypass this limitation. InstaChooser lets you select videos from your camera roll, import them into the Instagram Video and add filters to them. Since Instagram doesn’t officially let you ‘import’ videos from your iPhone, so InstaChooser is for those who want to overcome this limitation with Instagram.
InstaChooser obviously works only for Instagram. Being a workaround, it works pretty fine actually without causing any blips in usability.
How to Import Videos to Instagram on iPhone?
- Once you install InstaChooser, the tweak will add a small import button on the right of capture button (video mode).
- When you tap this, a fancy message box pops up. I guess for fun. Tap on ‘I NO CARE’
- You will be shown your camera roll with all the pictures and videos. Make sure you select only the videos here.
- Once imported, Instagram will ask you to choose a filter. And an thumbnail. Unfortunately, Instagram does not recognize the video to create a thumb out of it. Instead it only shows thumbs from videos you already have on Instagram. It’s okay: choose any one for the moment.
- After you’re done with the steps, just upload the video. It gets uploaded. The thumb is still misleading but the video is the one you imported from the Camera roll.
InstaChooser is on BigBoss repo on Cydia. It will cost you $0.99.